VIN Rivets

-
Do you know if those are the same size as the ones I took off my '66? I'd imagine they're all the same, but who knows?
On FEBO they use them, they did not say anything about different sizes.

Do you know if those are the same size as the ones I took off my '66? I'd imagine they're all the same, but who knows?
IMG_6451.jpeg

IMG_6449.jpeg

IMG_6450.jpeg

What do the early ones look like? I bought a set from ECS for my 72 (I took the tag off to repaint the dash). those were sort of floral shaped with rounded edges
I need a set too. But the prices are high. I thought about taking my jewelers file n try to make a couple of them. I have a lighted magnifier on my bench n it seems to be doable. I did a few test sets n each set I do comes out better n better The only thing is I need to repaint mine n put back on the Chrysler ink decal
Anyone else trying this too?

The rivets are not just an old car/Mopar thing. the same rosette rivets are used across all car brands, up to current, I believe (I only have 2008/2010 vehicles handy to verify).
I have yet to have a traffic stop where the vin was not checked against the registration- they need to confirm that the plates are on the car they are registered to.
And the OP is in California, not Wisconsin. They can require VIN verification at time of registration in most cases, and is always required if the car is brought in from another state. Although it doesn't apply in his case, any car 1976 or newer goes through a vehicle inspection every two years, in addition to smog testing.
Since the right rivets were found for under $10, just do it right and avoid the potential headaches.
Heck, last time I had to strip the tags off a dash, I requested a State Patrol officer to inspect the vehicle in question, and he GAVE me a set of rivets to reinstall the tags with. (Yes, they have them.)
Where are you seeing them for $10 a set?

Do you any of you guys have a source for the rosette rivets for the a '66 Dart? Obviously, these are attached in the door jams, so I'm unsure if they are the same rivets as the later model A-bodies that seem to be the rivets that the resto shops like ECS carry.
With most every Resto everyone’s needing the Rosette Vin rivets. I see the for sale on a lot of web sites, eBay n other places. They sell 2 ea and are high priced at over $50.
So I was thinking I’d take 2 round rivets get my round jewelers file n set at my work bench n use my lighted magnifier n make me a few sets. Maybe sell some too or give them away to my buddies.
But if they’re out there for sale where is the source to buy them by the box full?
Happy Moparing

The rivets are not just an old car/Mopar thing. the same rosette rivets are used across all car brands, up to current, I believe (I only have 2008/2010 vehicles handy to verify).
I have yet to have a traffic stop where the vin was not checked against the registration- they need to confirm that the plates are on the car they are registered to.
And the OP is in California, not Wisconsin. They can require VIN verification at time of registration in most cases, and is always required if the car is brought in from another state. Although it doesn't apply in his case, any car 1976 or newer goes through a vehicle inspection every two years, in addition to smog testing.
Since the right rivets were found for under $10, just do it right and avoid the potential headaches.
Heck, last time I had to strip the tags off a dash, I requested a State Patrol officer to inspect the vehicle in question, and he GAVE me a set of rivets to reinstall the tags with. (Yes, they have them.)
Who has them for $10?

True! Although I've never had it happen in anything older than a '68, so I don't know if they'd even bother.

Huh. Never had one come up on the passenger side.
Back to the original post, for the seven bucks and change that Car Nut posted, the OP should just do it right.
Going on the passenger side is the newer SOP in California. I asked a friend that is a CHP training officer. It’s due to the amount of officers that have been hit by cars when approaching on the drivers side.

I need a set too. But the prices are high. I thought about taking my jewelers file n try to make a couple of them. I have a lighted magnifier on my bench n it seems to be doable. I did a few test sets n each set I do comes out better n better The only thing is I need to repaint mine n put back on the Chrysler ink decal
Anyone else trying this too?
$5.99 for two on Ebay with FREE shipping.....

All manufactures used the same Federally mandated rivits so they should all be the same. At the time I posted this they had 15 sets. Now they have 13 sets. Better hurry. Better to be safe and just buy and install them.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if they’re supposed to be raw metal or black?

Found these at Amazon.

IMG_6455.jpeg

$5.99 for two on Ebay with FREE shipping.....

All manufactures used the same Federally mandated rivits so they should all be the same. At the time I posted this they had 15 sets. Now they have 13 sets. Better hurry. Better to be safe and just buy and install them.

[/URL]
Thanks Dave_J,
I just bought that set. Didn't know they were federally mandated. That makes sense in light of all the diverse comments and opinions here.
Rick

Shiney on door jamb tags and black on top of dash tags. Funny thing in the pic right up above...they went to all the trouble to show the 1.579 inch length, and that's the part that "pop's" off! :BangHead:

-
Back