VIN tag locations

-

MB43

Reaction score
Is there more than 1 VIN tag on a '73 Duster? If so, where would they be?

I've found the one on the dash, but the dashboard has been changed in my car and it doesn't match the title... so I'm looking for others somewhere on the car to make a match. Any ideas?

Rear deck near the driver's side speaker hole. Not the complete VIN, but the last 8 digits I believe.

Cool, I'll check there and the rear deck. Thanks.

Any other locations? On the frame somewhere?

When you find the last 8 characters of your Duster's v.i.n. , you can surmise the rest of the v.i.n.

For instance :
Let's say you find "B3400200" , you can probably add a "VL29G" or "VS29H" or whatever , and end-up with , say , "VS29H3B400200" .

When you do find the other 8 characters , you'll see that the year and plant codes are swapped-around ( why ? who knows ... ) .

There's also *supposed* to be a sticker on the driver's door , in the "B" Pillar area , which has the car's month / year build date , plus the full v.i.n.
If that's missing , and the paint's original , the place where the sticker was will reveal a series of "VOID" printed where the sticker's top layer was peeled-off .

What other info can you share that'll help us ascertain what you're looking for ?

You can try looking on the trunk lip, although I am not sure of this in 73.

What other info can you share that'll help us ascertain what you're looking for ?

One of the people who are interested in buying my car is in Canada, he thinks that if the VIN on the title doesn't match the VIN on the dash they're going to give him a hard time when he tries to bring it into the country. If I can locate another VIN on the car that matches the title then we'll be in good shape.

I check the radiator support, there's nothing there. Is it stamped on the support or is a tag?

It is stamped. When I was looking for mine the paint had filled in the stamping. If you start at the center of the rad support, run your finger under the lip toward the battery, you should feel the "ripples" of the stamping.
But even if it the stamped VIN matches the VIN on title he may have hard time getting across the boarder with 2 VIN's on 1 car.

-
Back