Vintage air unit

-

jmwuva05

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have been making some progress with my car and presently have the firewall and inner fender stripped of the black paint to get ready to spray body color. I also have my dash frame out cleaning it up to put on nice new paint. I have been debating on vintage vs classic air and I am leaning strongly towards vintage air. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried one of there new Gen iv units in an abody (couldn't find any specific posts on here)? It seems like a big unit for a smaller car so if anyone else has vintage air which unit are you using? I am going to order one of their mock up units for the Gen iv off Amazon and try to get everything positioned and put the dash panel back in for clearance. My car had factory air but the firewall hole has been skilfully filed and nicely welded by the previous owner who had no heat or air in it. So I think I can put one of vintages 4 way bulkhead fitting about anywhere I need. I am also thinking of filling the dash bezel for the controls and fitting one of vintages slim type control panels in that spot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

So I have been making some progress with my car and presently have the firewall and inner fender stripped of the black paint to get ready to spray body color. I also have my dash frame out cleaning it up to put on nice new paint. I have been debating on vintage vs classic air and I am leaning strongly towards vintage air. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried one of there new Gen iv units in an abody (couldn't find any specific posts on here)? It seems like a big unit for a smaller car so if anyone else has vintage air which unit are you using? I am going to order one of their mock up units for the Gen iv off Amazon and try to get everything positioned and put the dash panel back in for clearance. My car had factory air but the firewall hole has been skilfully filed and nicely welded by the previous owner who had no heat or air in it. So I think I can put one of vintages 4 way bulkhead fitting about anywhere I need. I am also thinking of filling the dash bezel for the controls and fitting one of vintages slim type control panels in that spot. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Years ago I installed a Vintage Air unit. Nothing wrong with the product. Six or eight years ago I was looking to install a unit into my Dart. The vintage air people would not help me with dimension or anything. I was told to buy the unit to know the dimensions. Not polite at all. I wound up buying Classic Auto Air. The followup help was excellent. The unit was fine. Both VA and CAA units are about the same. Just better assistance.

Jerry in Denver

Jay Leno uses vintage air IIRC. I used classic as I was able to use my stock controls. (NON AC car) Sadly I have yet to start car so I cant weigh in on performance. Sealing up cabin as much as possible. The instructions are OK for most aeronautical engineers, I had to call a couple times with good results. $0.02

I still haven't ruled classic out and was initially leaning toward them. I have another radio heater surround I got off ebay that is in much much better shape than the one that was in the car so I could get a set of factory heater controls and mod them for the classic. The firewall fill in is a good job and I hate to cut recut a hole for the classic bulkhead mount but I suppose I could use a vintage bulk head fitting with the classic kit just plumb the hose lines accordingly

I did see on here that vintage isn't the best for customer service returning calls etc.

The firewall fill in is a good job and I hate to cut recut a hole for the classic bulkhead mount
The vintage doesnt have anything running through the firewall? How do they connect to the dryer/condensor/heater hoses etc?

The vintage doesnt have anything running through the firewall? How do they connect to the dryer/condensor/heater hoses etc?
I have a unit (don't remember offhand "who") that was bought privately open box/ as new. There is no SPECIFIC entrance as the hoses connect inside, and therefore you can run them out at your choice. No protrusion for blower motor

I just put the Vintage Gen II super into my 68 Valiant and it was very snug to say the least as far as vent hoses. I did hold a Gen IV up in the dash and didn't see any way to run the ducts because they come out of the drivers side of the unit.

I just put the Vintage Gen II super into my 68 Valiant and it was very snug to say the least as far as vent hoses. I did hold a Gen IV up in the dash and didn't see any way to run the ducts because they come out of the drivers side of the unit.

It looks like vintage has several firewall fittings with 2 or 4 ports for the hoses to attach

I just ordered a unit for my 67 Dart from Classic . I want to use my original controls. My dash is out and was just painted so now is the time. Unfortunately I was told 6-8 weeks for the unit so I am on the list. I had to change the water pump over to the 70 and up model to fit the pulleys for non power steering kit. Only kit I could find for 69 and back was for a power steering car. FYI, Classic uses Bouchillon performance for the pulley and bracket setups. I bought mine from Bouchillon myself. Not sure if I'll save anything but I can sort out the engine compartment while I wait for the dash unit.

If you changed the engine pulley /water pump to a late setup you might want to order the late AC setup and check with them just what the differences are

I know of plenty Chevy guys who love the vintage air. They make direct fits for them. Their customer service is really bad. I live about 12 minutes from their facility and it’s easier to talk to the cable company than it is to them. In person they are useless for information. That’s my opinion.

So i called classic and they were very helpful. Apparently their most recent kit you can use one of the round knob control set or the mod to the factory sliders. It plus in the same. They also told me they could give me a set of bulkhead fittings other than the one in the kit as my factory ac hole has been plate filled and smoothed on the firewall side. The guy was very friendly and said he would put together any combo I might want. I think I am going to go with them.

That's cool. The person I spoke to at Classic last week was very helpful. I hope I'll be happy with their setup.

-
Back