Vintage Mopar Battery

-

tleroy

Reaction score
Vintage Mopar battery for sale. I bought it a couple years at the Indy Mopar meeting. The battery was dry when purchased. I added acid, but couldn't get it to hold a charge. Didn't really know what I was doing. Been sitting on the shelf for over a year now. Sold "AS IS". Located in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. $150 obo

Battery 1.jpg

Battery 2.jpg

Battery 3.jpg

Is that the reproduction Mopar Absorbed Glass Mat battery?
I believe it is, but not sure what you are referring to. I've had a few of these in the past, but they always came filled. This one was dry.
I cant find a picture of it, but a case was cut opened and inside the shell was a 2nd sealed battery with cables attached to the top posts from beneath.
I remember that thread. 2 individual (small) batteries inside the Mopar case. You could see that with a pocket flashlight.
If it was a gas mat battery and you added acid it will be ruined now. You need to pru off a cap and if you don't see normal battery plates we are done here. Just saying. The plates will look something like this and you can see them under every cap.

View attachment 1715613765
So, in essence, the screw off caps are just for show?
Absorbed Glass Mat
AGM lead acid batteries will say "AGM" or "Absorbed Glass Mat," "sealed regulated valve," "dry cell," "non-spillable," or "valve regulated" on the label. Look at the top of the battery. Liquid lead acid batteries have caps or removable tops unless they say "sealed" on the label.
There were a few of the older MoPar batteries floating around for sale (Ebay) that required the addition of acid and were still dry waiting to be filled. Once you add the acid the battery had to be charged. I sold tons of the AGM batteries and occasionally the acid fill type while working for Harley. Especially the 6v batteries for the old Panheads, knucklehead, and Flathead purists. If you didn't follow the instructions for adding proper level of acid and trickle charging the battery, many times you ruined them.

I remember that thread. 2 individual (small) batteries inside the Mopar case. You could see that with a pocket flashlight.
Yes.
So if you opened the "dummy" caps and poured water into the empty cavity, it did nothing.

Yes.
So if you opened the "dummy" caps and poured water into the empty cavity, it did nothing.
Water might not have hurt it but if the OP thought the battery came dry and filled it up with acid it is probably toast. He said it came dry and he added acid. Let's just sit tight here until the seller stops back to answer our questions.

It has screw off caps. I removed all of the caps put a screwdriver in the openings to see if the battery boxes were inside. I could run screwdriver down through the two end opening, but not the middle.

It has screw off caps. I removed all of the caps put a screwdriver in the openings to see if the battery boxes were inside. I could run screwdriver down through the two end opening, but not the middle.
Oops. You need to peek down through the middle ones and see if there is plates or plastic boxes (batteries)

No plates. Can see plastic. Probably destroyed:(
Probably so. You would need to dump out the acid and flush with soda water to clean and neutralize. You may be able to save the case.

It doesn't have acid it now. I emptied the battery when it didn't hold the charge. I saw the soda water method on Youtube and that's what's in it now. The soda water has been in it for close to a year I believe. It's been sitting in the garage on the shelf and I'm tired of moving it around and decided to post it and see if there was any interest.

Probably so.
It doesn't have acid it now. I emptied the battery when it didn't hold the charge. I saw the soda water method on Youtube and that's what's in it now. The soda water has been in it for close to a year I believe. It's been sitting in the garage on the shelf and I'm tired of moving it around and decided to post it and see if there was any interest.
Drain the soda water, rinse it with water and let it dry out. You could put a trickle charger on it and see what happens. I wouldn't go any more than 2 amps. If it will be revived, it might take a week to get it back. Put it somewhere safe, away from combustibles while it's on the charger.

Last edited:
I will move this thread out of the classified section and into electrical. When you get things figured out you can start a sale therad if you want to sell it or the case only.

Sounds good. Thanks for your help.
You bet. Hope you get it figured out. There is another thread if I can find it. The guy cut the bottom out of the case and replaced the batteries inside. I'll post a link if I can find the thread.

-
Back