vintage snowmobiles

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
some here has got to have some old sled experience

I just picked up a 81 yamaha exciter 440, it wasnt running and he didnt know what the problem was. I checked spark, it was ok. But no fuel, after i replaced the old rotted feul line and gave the engine a shot of feul it fired right up. The engine runs great, although it has 6k miles on it (a little much for a snowmobile i imagine). Anyway, i wrapped up the motor to try and get the thing to move,the clutch looks like its trying to press against the belt but the belt just wont turn. The belt looks to be in pretty rough shape, theres a couple teeth missing and the belt looks like its just plain wore out. This is the problem correct? where can i find an new belt for it and/or other vintage parts for it other than ebay?

Take the belt off, and work both the drive, and driven sheaves.If they seem free, then definately try a new belt. Sometimes the clutches stiffen up after sitting. Also check the disk brake, they sometimes sieze up.. Make sure the jack shaft turns, and make sure the drive chain, and track turn. These old Yamahas were pretty good machines, and able to run 10,000 plus miles. I still have my old 73 Silver Bullet, 340. Every damn thing I own has a 340...

Oh ya, try your local tractor, or motorcycle dealer. They will have accounts with suppliers. If you have trouble, send me a message, we have lots of belts up here.

139_3951 (Small).JPG

about 5 years ago my buddy and i bought a pair of 1972 skidoo tnt 440's at a tow auction for $50.. we went throught the same thing with the fuel and lines... any way when we needed parts we got them from dennis kirk.. we had to get a catalog because the people on the phone have no clue, but if you can read their catalog :read2:you can find most of the basic parts for yours....
i am in no way endorsing dk , just telling you where i got mine..

If you google "Kimpex" you should find some mail-order companies that deal in their parts. These are knock-offs, but you should start with a cheap belt anyway. Once it's working fine, upgrade to a good belt.(cheap belts make good clutch cleaners, as does fine emery)

Take the belt off, and work both the drive, and driven sheaves.If they seem free, then definately try a new belt. Sometimes the clutches stiffen up after sitting. Also check the disk brake, they sometimes sieze up.. Make sure the jack shaft turns, and make sure the drive chain, and track turn. These old Yamahas were pretty good machines, and able to run 10,000 plus miles. I still have my old 73 Silver Bullet, 340. Every damn thing I own has a 340...

Oh ya, try your local tractor, or motorcycle dealer. They will have accounts with suppliers. If you have trouble, send me a message, we have lots of belts up here.

sorry, stupid question (first time ever working with a snowmobile or any two stroke) but should the belt slide off or do i need to take clutch off to get teh belt off. I did manage to find a new cheap belt from dennis kirk. I guess the last time the sled moved was last winter, then the feul line became toast.

about 5 years ago my buddy and i bought a pair of 1972 skidoo tnt 440's at a tow auction for $50.. we went throught the same thing with the fuel and lines... any way when we needed parts we got them from dennis kirk.. we had to get a catalog because the people on the phone have no clue, but if you can read their catalog :read2:you can find most of the basic parts for yours....
i am in no way endorsing dk , just telling you where i got mine..

yeah, ive had good luck with dennis kirk and looks like they came through again, they acually had quite a few parts for the old yammahammer

to remove the old belt,,, work the rear sheaves in opposite directions, this will allow you to spread them at the same time ( i like to use a small piece of wood as a wedge ) then the belt will fall to the center of the sheaves, giving it room to slide off over the ( front ) clutch.. the new belt goes right back the same way, you will need to rotate the rear sheaves to get the belt back up to the top of them.... jack up the rear of the sled ( track off ground ) to run in the belt and see if it is working properly ... while you have the belt off make sure you clean and polish up both the clutch and rear sheaves ,,, or you will eat the new belt....

-
Back