Vintage Vehicle Registration in California

-

ccrhost

Reaction score
I have a friend who purchased a 1935 car and wants to restore/modify it. What is the best way to register the car with the Cali DMV? It was purchased in Oregon and there is no current registration - only a bill of sale. Should the process start before any restoration begins? Is there any issues with doing it after the restoration is completed? This will be a complete restoration with new drivetrain and chasis.

I have some idea what the best procedure is but, I'm hoping some here may have gone through a simular situation and can advise of any pitfalls to watch for.

I'd get the car titled with no plates or registration to show ownership.

Do this before doing any work to the vehicle. If you try to title it after the restoration with a $200 bill of sale as an example, they will nail you to the wall...

No need for anything but a bill of sale in CA. Title is handy but not necessary. They will do a vin verification which on something that old may require a trip to CHP office.

Once the restoration is complete, you can walk in and get plates/registration usually without them ever having to look at the car.

Good luck

Dan, just like 'crackedback' said. My '69 Dart was an eBay buy out of Oregon. A policeman friend verified the VIN and signed the VIN verification paperwork. Took that and a Bill of Sale to AAA, paid the use tax and ordered my new personalized plates. Nobody at DMV or AAA ever saw the car.

I would have Oregon run a check on it as well just for fun. Might come back with an old registration. It would be nice to have that. But I'd have it registered as a historical vehicle and save some money.

But I'd have it registered as a historical vehicle and save some money.

Yeah, you can, but you'll be limited on how much you can drive your "historical vehicle".
You have to certify on the license application as follows: "I certify that I understand these plates may only be placed on a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old and is of historic interest. I also certify that I understand that the vehicle for which these plates are issued may be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities only."

Thanks guys. :salute:

Has anyone ever heard of the DMV refusing to accept a car as its model year because too many modifications were made prior to registration?

-
Back