Vinyl Paint

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
Just picked up a 70 Dart that needs the front bench seat recovered, back is fine. Looking at a front bench about 60 miles away for $275, and then last night I catch an ad on craigslist for Dart buckets 5 miles away for, (side down before reading further) ......... $100 in very good condition, >>including the tracks. Just got home with them, in great shape but white. What is the best vinyl coloring to use to get them black.

01717_fHB9RkqhB9M_600x450.jpg

The problem isn't what vinyl paint to use.........but what will hold up on the seats, and not wear off, cause seats probably get a lot more sliding action than other vinyl parts.
Good prepaint prep is another critical factor. Use all matching namebrand paints. Also clean, clean, clean, useing vinyl prep cleaners/greease, and wax removers, and adhesion promoters.
SEM, and Krylon are two that I have used.
I have never done a set of seats from white to a darker color. I think that will be tough.
I would talk to some one who does upholstery, and see if there is a dye available (like leather dye, for leather) that will penetrat beneath the surface, and actually change the color, instead of just coating it, which is what vinyl paint does.
Dave

I have done that yeeeeeaaaars ago . I think from red to black. Can't remember the brand of paint ( didn't think they still sold that stuff. ) It did wear of some, just get extra for touch up when nessy. If you don't have a num matching High $$ show car, who cares. It's yours do what your budget allows you.

Herbs and classic both have interior color in spray cans. I've used it on dash pad and head rests change black to bright blue with good results. Can't say if it holds up on seat wear and tear. If you don't by all the prep products at least buy the vinyl cleaner.

I have used vinyl paint on seats in the past and it did wear off in spots over time. The SEM brand worked and lasted better than others I have tried. The trick is to clean them really well, then clean them really well and then clean them again really well with the cleaner for vinyl paint. The good news is that you can always re-spray any worn spots you get.

did the whole interior in a 71 chevelle back in late 80s went from medium green to black and used what GM dealer sold threw parts depot and held up great! seats never faded peeled or wore threw in 4 years i drove it to high school and interior went threw alot of packed with teenagers partying i mean it caught hell, and held up!!

Last edited:
Just picked up a 70 Dart that needs the front bench seat recovered, back is fine. Looking at a front bench about 60 miles away for $275, and then last night I catch an ad on craigslist for Dart buckets 5 miles away for, (side down before reading further) ......... $100 in very good condition, >>including the tracks. Just got home with them, in great shape but white. What is the best vinyl coloring to use to get them black.

View attachment 1715215815
I painted a really rough white bench seat and it turned out really nice. Cleaned real good, took the backs off and spayed it with whatever the local O'Reilly's sells. Held up great, some wear on the piping, but just a quick touch up and it was good to go.

1C2E7158-5A75-4815-AD04-8D3032D9D67A.jpeg

SEM has held up the best when i have used it. Changed an entire white interior to black in a 68 442 in high school. Here is a link to instructions on how to get the best results. Tip Ronson lighter fluid works well as a cleaner. If you look at the ingerdients in the SEM cleaner it is the same. The lighter fluid is much cheaper.
interior dye

-
Back