Vinyl Top?

-

BigWilson87

70 Plum Crazy Dart
Reaction score
So I just got my first car: A 1970 Dart Swinger. The body's good except for some rust around the bottom corners of the rear window. I need to take off the vinyl top in order to repair the rust. The vinyl top is all ripped up by the area of the rust. Does anyone know where to find replacement vinyl tops? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew

(Also, if anyone knows where to get complete weather stripping kits that would help me out as well. Thanks again!)

Year One has them. Other places too, they're pretty easy to find. Same with the weather strip kits. I am ordering all mine ahead of time with the 20% off Year One discount code good through Thursday. Year One doesn't have complete kits that I know of, but you can order door, trunk and cowl separately. I'm not getting the top because I'm refinishing in body color, but I did consider it.

Here is a guide on vinyl top installation:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0812_vinyl_top_installation/index.html

Would you happen to know where you found that coupon code? Thanks again

what makes up the 2 seam lines on each side of the vinyl top.

can get the material for the top from sms auto fabrics, but how do you reproduce those lines.If you cant, does year one vinyl top come with those installed

Also. In the hot rod vinyl top how to, i noticed there was no foam pad installed on the roof. I have seen foam pads used on other cars. does chrysler just not use this technique???

the 2 seam lines are just where the vinyl sections have been folded over and sewn together. as far as the foam, the vinyl itself has a soft backing which goes directly on the roof.

menupop.gif
i was just going to buy some vinyl, now ill have to go the year one route to get those seams in there

personally i would go with a pre made top,last one i bought was not too expensive considering it is seen on a large area of the car. but you could come close to duplicating those seams by having sections of vinyl sewn together (seems like it would be really tricky to get them right though , or maybe just glue some foam strips to the roof before installing your vinyl. the vinyl will really need to be worked to the edges of the strips until the glue has dried then theres no guarantee that you will have the look that your after.

you are right, it is too much surface area on the car to get wrong. i will buy one pre made
im looking at legendary auto and year one, also dantes mopar parts for one

does anyone have the following color codes for a 69 dart with white vinyl top

need the interior white paint code
the grain and interior color for the seats
and the vinyl top color

I have seen white and pearl white for the upholstery and vinyl top and dove white for the interior paint. not sure which to use to be correct

boar grain for the top and dakota grain for the seats

another question i have is

do i need to replace the staples that hole the vinyl top down in the front above the windshield

I agree - buy your Legendary top from Dante's. They look so much better than cheap repro's. Also, factory vinyl tops did not have backing on them and neither do Legendary's - I just did 2 of them.

-
Back