Viper break kit help

-

amzchad

Reaction score
i was told that since i have a 74 dodge dart sport with the sbp drum breaks that i could use these to put viper breaks on.

I wanna look into this but i have no clue were to start.

so anyone who can give me a link or that could possibly tell me a little on it would be very appreciated.

chad

Could i do an anti lock brake setup some how or is that even nessesary for road course

the viper calipers are pricey so shop for a good used set. i got some off ebay for $300. i have virtually everything i need for the swap now but since i'm doing fr. end rebuild at same time i'm mulling over shocks and adjustable struts right now. probably start the swap next week. theres also some good info on other threads in this forum, just look for anything with autocross in the header.
http://arengineering.com/
http://classifieds.viperclub.org/index.php

this is what i found what else would i need other than rotors

Viper set.jpg

If that is a for sale picture then all you need is the 11.75 rotors and your 1974 drum brake knuckles. I'm not sure what those sleeves are in the picture, they look like bearing sleeves? You do not need those since you have the correct knuckles.

You'll also need new hoses since the factory ones won't work. There should be instructions that come with the kit that give you all of the part numbers. You'll need to run 15 inch disc brake rims with the big bolt pattern.

so all i need is the rotors and hoses after i purchase that and i will have gone from 74 small bolt pattern drum brakes to big bolt pattern disc brakes?

Is $550 a good price for whats in that picture?

Chad

Thanks for all the help

imho $550 for what is pictured is a reasonable to good deal. the adapter are $180. you'll also need a proportioning valve. also, i don't see the caliper mounting bolts, DON'T go to mopar for these, i just paid $15 ea. for those when i could have gone with grade 8's from the hardware store.

So with whats in the picture all i need after that is rotors lines and a prop vaulve?

Can i use a prop vaulve off a car that you could find at a junk yard or are they fairly inexpensive? Which one do i need?

This kit will take my small bolt pattern drum brakes on a 74 dodge dart sport and make them big bolt pattern disc brakes with viper calipers. Correct?

Is there a way i could run anti lock brakes or is that even nessesary?

o ya one more thing and the thread is done. i am using manual brakes now. eventually i want power after i purchase this. Can i run it manual brakes for the meantime?

If this makes it big bolt pattern disc brakes on my car im happy and i am going to buy the setup. Just need to be sure that this is right before i spend all this money considering i am 17 and i work at little ceasers.

Damn i am excited

yes, they use bbp cordoba rotors. an aftermarket prop valve should be fine and they're not too expensive

You can use a factory one, but it should be a '73-'76 disc A-body one.

$550 is a great price if the calipers are in good shape. Unfortunately, it isn't really possible to tell if the calipers are good until you use them. There could be a torn seal or something that will need to be replaced and you'll never see that in the pictures.

If the kit doesn't come with instructions then just shoot me an email and I'll mail you a new set of instructions so you can install that kit correctly. I'm the guy that invented that kit and I build those parts.

-
Back