viper engine

-
there was a member on here, swiss something
he was working on something like that i thought?

I have seen two v-10 transplants into an A body ever.
one was a tilt fiberglass front end demon i believe. bad quality cell phone pic was all i ever saw.

the other is that cobbled together "nun-runner" limo, but it's an iron truck v10. and it may even be a truck frame.
63 Dart Wagon Limo_One-Off_"Nun Runner"

There is a 72-ish charger over on FBBO, thats probably the "newest" thing i have seen with one in it.
1972 Viper Powered Charger

and the occasional Jensen interceptor.
“Viperceptor SE” - Jensen Interceptor Meets Dodge Viper V10

That Viper B body is from the same hometown as me. Great build and we've shared a few ideas. I'd still like to check it out in person.

Riddler

Then there's this 70 RR that I saw at the Nats this year. Has the V10 and automatic out of an SRT10 truck

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Viper B body is from the same hometown as me. Great build and we've shared a few ideas. I'd still like to check it out in person.

Riddler

I have seen a bunch of B and E's over the years. I thought that charger was cool because it wasn't a typical 68-70 build. Kinda why I want to do something different with our 75 roadrunner clone. I fully understand its fairly valueless, but not too many people have them. Especially with an unconventional drivetrain. Nice little twin turbo setup, or gen 3 swap ;)

thks so much
one was a tilt fiberglass front end demon i believe. bad quality cell phone pic was all i ever saw.

the other is that cobbled together "nun-runner" limo, but it's an iron truck v10. and it may even be a truck frame.

There is a 72-ish charger over on FBBO, thats probably the "newest" thing i have seen with one in it.

sos

thks this helps

It's much longer than a Sb, BB, or even a /6. if you look at that photobucket link above, you'll see how far up under the firewall they jammed that thing. Some Say....it's over 10 inches longer than a SB. (with accessories)

Are you sure it's longer than a slant 6? It's only 5 cylinders long. My guess would be it is about the same length.

Are you sure it's longer than a slant 6? It's only 5 cylinders long. My guess would be it is about the same length.

The slant 6 has tiny bore spacing (block is short) and the accessories are on the side instead of straight off the front of the engine to save space, which isn't really possible with a V-type engine. 5 bores at a tad over 4" diameter is 1.5" longer than 6 bores at 3.125" diameter and that's not considering the extra space needed between the cylinders.

this is the car I had in mind, 69 dart

After over a month off because of illness, travel, and other fun stuff, I'm finally working on the car again. My firewall/core support bars have been completed and I raised the engine/trans 1-1/4" to gain additional clearance for my steering system. Today I added my version of a monte carlo bar...
file_zps6aba70be.jpg

Still need to finish the fender mounts but the engine compartment is coming together. Mocked up my radiator...
file_zps16611568.jpg

Somewhere amidst this mess is an oil cooler. I'll hopefully be installing the Canton oil cooler thermostat and my remote oil filter mount...
file_zpsf484439f.jpg

Built my seat mounts and installed my seats...
file_zps6c47ce71.jpg

Mocked up a wooden steering column and will hopefully receive the real deal tomorrow, courtesy of MCB and Ididit...
file_zpsd272b303.jpg

More to come over the next week or so, hopefully...

I've got a pair of Viper valve covers on my bench right now destined for an old Dodge truck. It looks like a tight fit ... but it'll be cool!

? On a duster do you think I have to cut the firewall back some I seen a 72burrcude with viper motor and the firewall wasn't cut thk

take a close look at the pictures I quoted
Will removed the fire wall (I'm sure he build a new one at some point)

in 1970 they moved the barracuda name plate from the A body platform to the E body, so that 72 you saw would have had a larger engine bay

I am not sure which generation Viper engine you are planning on transplanting? As a Viper owner and knowing people who have replaced their engines in their Vipers, which seems like an easy swap, I can share some advice.

Make sure the wire harness you have is the original harness that was connected to YOUR engine. Purchasing the wire harness seperately off another engine, even though same OEM part, you are in for a world of frustration.

If you are transplanting a Gen 1 engine, they had a defect with the head gaskets and need to be replaced before swapping the engine. Make sure that was done.

If transplanting a Gen 2 engine, make sure to replace the Power steering pump pulley and bracket with billet replacement. The OEM plastic one will disintegrate and fail eventually...guaranteed. Also install a ROE power steering cap kit. The OEM caps can easily come off while driving causing fires. The 1996-98 Viper engines have forged internals better option if you are going to be modding the engine.

This may sound like an odd comment but make sure you like the sound of a V-10. They do not roar like a Mopar V-8. They sound quite different. Not bad....just different.

My next comment is not discourage you but just an FYI.

Be prepared for "Viper Tax".

For example, I just bought an OEM oil filter for my yearly oil change. Same filter used on several models for $9-$12 but this one has a Viper stamp on it. Price......$27.00... For an oil filter! ( canadian dollars). You think Mopars are expensive to fix? E bodies really expensive? Wait till you get into Vipers and related engine parts and work.

If you do this, please start a thread. Would love to see one of these in an abody!

Last edited:
-
Back