virginia

-
I took my freind to his first ever Drag Nats in Dinwiddie. He had a show in powahatan. (Say- Pow-wa-tan. Thats what he said. ??? )
My friend just bought a 4bdr Colonial on 1.5acres for $160,000. Not sure of the exact area.
Hard to beat. Here is a quick funny story. My best freinds wife at the time was very worried about paying her taxes. They were due. Being a nice guy, I whip out my check book and say how much expecting (and certainly not thinking) a N.Y. type bill. When I heard they owed just a grand, I nearly fell of my seat and offered the whole year up right there and then.

Bad move, she got mad and nearly beat the crap out of me for laughing so hard and making light. But I was being honest about paying the whole year.

Real estate tax here in Newport News is at $1.20 per 100 dollar value and there`s a personal property tax on items like cars, boats, and campers. You`d catch a break if you moved to one of the more rural counties. Come on down!

Hillsville, Virginia here atop the Blue Ridge Mountains......where we have the largest Labor Day gun show & flea market east of the mississippi........

Real estate tax here in Newport News is at $1.20 per 100 dollar value and there`s a personal property tax on items like cars, boats, and campers. You`d catch a break if you moved to one of the more rural counties. Come on down!

CT has the property tax on cars also. Its BS.

How do you guys like VA ? Is there plenty of work out there ? Im kinda looking right now at the Hopewell area which I think its about 25 miles from Richmond.

Are the schools good ? Seems to be plenty of work for my wife who is a CNA. Not sure what I will end up doing. I currently own a Tree service company with my father who is also looking but I dont know what kind of demand or competition there is for tree removal out there

I have a friend who is moving out there next week so Im going to go visit him when hes settled in.

Adam,
The Richmond job market should be excellent for your Wife, they have several hospitals including the VA hospital and MCV ( Medical College of Virginia). It's a great city with plenty of history, museums, good night life, and you would be there right next to Virginia Motorsports Park. During the winter all it would take is one good ice storm and you would probably have enough business to last you a year or so! Come on down and find out what southern hospitallity is all about.

Adam,
The Richmond job market should be excellent for your Wife, they have several hospitals including the VA hospital and MCV ( Medical College of Virginia). It's a great city with plenty of history, museums, good night life, and you would be there right next to Virginia Motorsports Park. During the winter all it would take is one good ice storm and you would probably have enough business to last you a year or so! Come on down and find out what southern hospitallity is all about.

LOL, I'm not a native, but I'll second that.
Not busting balls, but 3-4 inch of snow and most everything is closed down.
What ever happen to the Pro Ice tem, the Richmond Renegages? I caught a game at the Coliseum.

How far is the Annapolis (sp) area from Richmond? Time/miles?

the on again off again renegades are now on again. there was a time when they went away and became the riverdogs, but they are now the renegades again. the annapolis area you are talking about i assume is va as there is also an annapolis md. the virginia one is about 75 miles. can take 1-1/2 hour to get there depending on traffic. the closer to dc the worse traffic is!!!! hey rumble when you coming? i remember you saying you would like to move here as well....

the annapolis area you are talking about i assume is va as there is also an annapolis md. the virginia one is about 75 miles. --- hey rumble when you coming? i remember you saying you would like to move here as well....

Yes. Annapolis Va. Thats about where megalopolis begins. 75 miles, not to bad. I do 50 on the bike for an extra shift for work. (Multi location type of deal. Sometimes close, sometimes far. Mostly far. Mostly far. But I do an hour + on the bike without thought and standing on my head....so to speak.)

On living in Va. Yea. It IS real nice there. Hoewever, it is 15 years away till I retire and then we'll see whats what then. (Of course, theres the other half as well.)
I pass through Va. on ave. twice a year on my way to ethier Nc. (Family) to the coast or Ga. Hotlanta area. (Freinds and family)

Truth be told, one must maxamize the retired wage. We'll see how comphy I can get where. I liked the west side of Va. Lots of motor bike roads. Blue Ridge Pkwy. is smokin. I road (In April) down 81 to the Dragons tail. A rd. from Tn. to Nc. thats 11 miles long with 318 turns carved out of a mountain.

The land to behold is awesome end to end. Here's me noy on me bike I did it on.

101_0393.JPG

fairfax VA here..

traffic is nuts, house prices are correcting themselves, and the people are a little "stressed" if you know what i mean.

still, i get thumbs up when i'm out in the dart and that's always cool. kind of restores your faith in humanity. haha

anybody close want to help a guy out who's car is currently undergoing a major rebuild? not actual help in person (unless you are a true glutton for punishment) just help with a few questions now and then.

i'm looking for Mopar guys out my way.

'74, create a post and post the questions away.

City life, the more congested it is, the worse people can get. It's not them as a person to start with, it's more the pace and demands the city puts on them.

Then there cranky and get rude. Take'em out of the city for a month, there back to being a real person again.
Happens everytime.

I had plans on going down to visit my friend in Pawhatan this weekend but its looking like a no go. To many bills to pay at the end of the month. Im getting real tired of this b.s. We just dont have the money for anything other then bills anymore and its making life real depressing.

Ohhhhhhhhh, your sooooooooo singing to the choir on that one.
Sometimes it feels like surviving rather than living.
My best freind lived in Powattan for years. Nice there.

you guys are both close but neither of ya got it right....it is powhatan....better learn it if you are going to move here some day ...lol:toothy10:

I knew there was an H in it, lol

Rob thats eactly it. Its just survival lately. Ive been doing a lot of work for the city housing authority and its making me sick. I'll spend all day cleaning the mess the people that live in the low income city owned housing have made. They sit and watchme all day and by the end of the week its a mess again.

They all drive new cars and have boats.There kids have name brand clothes and every toy they could want. They dont mow there lawns, they dont throw there garbage out. Its gross.

My favorite is the guy who has the new motor home that must have cost him a few hundred thousand dollars.

looking for a good rechroming shop in va for my bumpers. 73 duster!

remember va. dosen't allow copper to be used in the plateing process. this means the chrome dosen't adhear to good to the metal so you will likely get it cheaper in price, but the quality won't hold up. you will likely be looking to rechrome it again in about 3 years.......good luck!

If you go to Hanlon site, they show it getting copper, nickel, and then chrome plating. Check hanlonplating.com. I'm planning on taking my bumpers down there in Nov.

Strasburg VA here - about 80 miles west of DC out 66 and 20 miles south of Winchester down 81

If you go to Hanlon site, they show it getting copper, nickel, and then chrome plating. Check hanlonplating.com. I'm planning on taking my bumpers down there in Nov.

New laws that control the disposal of hazardous waste have really hurt some of the plating businesses in Va. It`s been years since I`ve been to Hanlon but I do remember some of the upper end stuff that they were working on (Mercedes parts) were getting a copper plating. I couldn`t tell you if they triple plated the bumpers for my Barracuda or not.? They were cheap though, $240.00 each. There may be certain companies that have special licensing to do copper plating in Richmond with an understanding that the waste is handled appropriately. I think there was another company in Richmond that did plating but they`re out of business now. A friend of mine mentioned a place called Richmond Bumper, but I`m not familiar with them.

BLUE RIDGE,VA here...near roanoke...near lynchburg...nowwhere near a 1/4 mile dragstrip!

I'm in Leesburg, about 35 miles west of DC. Grew up in Lynchburg.

Huge Mopar show in Lynchburg June 2009 - one of the winged car clubs is having their national meet there. I'll be there for sure in the Superbird.

JUNE 14-20: Lynchburg, VA, Winged Warriors/NBOA National Meet with Barry and Rita Moorefield as hosts. Headquarters hotel will be the Wingate by Windham where we have 50 rooms blocked at a rate of $99 per night. For reservations call 1-888-494-6428 and ask for the Winged Warriors block of rooms. There is trailer parking at Liberty University which is in sight of the Wingate. There is security at the University parking lot so cars could be parked in their trailers overnight if you wish to do so. Activities planned so far include: a tour of Griffin Pipe Products which is a 100+ year-old foundry in Lynchburg; a tour of Arrington Racing which is currently developing the next generation Cup motor and starting a crate Hemi program; lunch at Buddy Arrington's restaurant in Martinsville (We do not have confirmation yet on getting into Martinsville Speedway but Barry was told that this should be something we could do); a visit to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke (Roanoke was the center of the Norfolk and Western Railway so there are lots of train displays among other things); a run along the Blue Ridge Parkway; visit to O. Winston Link museum (he was a renowned black and white photographer, especially night train shots); visit to National D-Day Memorial in Bedford; a night dinner cruise on the "Virginia Dare" on Smith Mountain Lake; visit to the Natural Bridge (one of the 7 wonders of the world); lunch at the "Pink Cadillac" diner; visit to the Appomattox surrender grounds (site of the end of the Civil War); show 'n shine at John P Hughes Dodge (the oldest continually operating Dodge dealer). If you have any questions about this event or would like to assist with the meet, please call Barry at (434) 821-2174

-
Back