Visually detecting a rear main seal leak?How?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
For those of us who have never had a rear main seal leak, can you tell me (us) how do we discover we actually have one. I got under the car and oil drips are on the oil pan drain, inspection cover hole, starter, splatters on the exhaust pipes and the A833. I have double-checked all valve covers and intake for leaks...zero. Thanks for the info.

If you see it below the level of the bellhousing, but don't see any ont he top, it could be any of the oil plugs on the rear of the block, or the pan, or the eal if it's engine oil. With a stick, make sure it's not transmission oil (which would be either ATF or gear oil depending on the builder/owner) out the input or input bearing retainer.

Gear oil in an A833 will stink unlike ening oil. Pull the inspection cover and see if it's flinging off the crank (you'll see little dark fingers of semi-dried oil and dust). If it is, good sign it's the seal and not the pan. You can also use a flourescing dye if you can find a buddy with the setp, or pay a shop... You'll still need the inspection cover off...

When I improperly installed the rear main seal in my 318 it would leak about five drops of oil whenever I drove the car. It wouldn't leak when I let it sit, only when I started it and drove a little. Replaced the seal and installed it the correct way and no more leaks.

-
Back