Viton seals

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
I built a 273 and the guy who did my heads installed new valve guides, new valves, new springs and cut the valve bosses for Viton seals. It only has a few thousand miles and smokes when I let off the gas. I pulled the plugs and it looks like 3 cylinders on the right bank and 1 on the left are using some oil.
I've already eyeballed the seals by pulling the springs with the heads on and they looked ok but think there may be some reason for them to pass oil. How can I replace the seals without taking the heads off. I want to use Viton seals again.
If that's not possible, can I cut the seal away and install the stock style umbrellas?

I haven't done it, but would think that since the machining is done you can install new press-on seals. There are several types, I recall some w/ teflon.

I see no reason you couldn't use stock umbrella seals after the machining. I understand they just cut the outside of the guide boss and umbrella seals don't even attach to the boss. I wonder if you could install both (belt & suspenders). One reason some people use the later press-on seals is because no room for the umbrella seals if after-market springs (double springs or dampers).

hollow out a spark and braze a hose barb on it ..screw it into the head put a hose from compressor on it and hold valve up with this[air remove keeper and retainer works good..j

I wouldn't run both kinds of seals. Either kind should be sufficient, but running both might starve the guides and cause them to wear out prematurely.

Have you done a compression check? If the seals look ok, they just might be ok, and the source of your oil is something else.

-
Back