Voltage regulator for 360 LA

-

2telepoles

Reaction score
Installed a new alternator (60amp) and getting to much amps/charging (18+) what is the correct voltage regulator?

Thanks

I may not BE the voltage regulator.

So let's start with "what are we working on?"

1928 Farmall hemi?

I mean, I'm just guessing here.....................

IF THIS IS a 70 or later vehicle you need to first check the field situation. If so, you should have two field terminals. NEITHER should show continuity to ground

IF that is OK, you may have a poor ground to the regulator or low voltage from the key going to the IGN terminal of same

I may not BE the voltage regulator.

So let's start with "what are we working on?"

1928 Farmall hemi?

I mean, I'm just guessing here.....................

IF THIS IS a 70 or later vehicle you need to first check the field situation. If so, you should have two field terminals. NEITHER should show continuity to ground

IF that is OK, you may have a poor ground to the regulator or low voltage from the key going to the IGN terminal of same

My ground it good and when I put on my blinker any volt miter goes crazy.

My ground it good and when I put on my blinker any volt miter goes crazy.
We still need to know WHAT YOU'RE WORKING ON. Alternators varied over the years, as did voltage regulators and wiring schemes.
Year
Make
Model

OK so does this still have the "one field wire" alternator?

You need to make some checks EXACTLY but first I have to know WHAT you have. So the choices are.........

1.. A...what alternator AKA grounded field as 69/ earlier system..........
B....isolated field AKA 70 or later has two field terminals
C....Some aftermarket alternator like Delco/ Denso/ ?

2...What type regulator AKA
.....A....69/ earlier Mopar
.....B.....70/ later Mopar
.....C.....Some other third party

THIS thread:

talks about the earlier so called "round back" alternators and single terminal field

THIS thread

talks about "round back" and "square back." "Round back" can be grounded field or isolated field, but all "square back" are originally isolated field. Isolated field units can be grounded to operate with a 69 regulator, BUT ARE SOMETIMES grounded BY MISTAKE meaning a 70 regulator designed for isolated field will be ineffective and severely overcharge/ over voltage

What would be really helpful is a photo of your alternator and regulator

Last edited:
OK so does this still have the "one field wire" alternator?

You need to make some checks EXACTLY but first I have to know WHAT you have. So the choices are.........

1.. A...what alternator AKA grounded field as 69/ earlier system..........
B....isolated field AKA 70 or later has two field terminals
C....Some aftermarket alternator like Delco/ Denso/ ?

2...What type regulator AKA
.....A....69/ earlier Mopar
.....B.....70/ later Mopar
.....C.....Some other third party

THIS thread:
[/URL]

talks about the earlier so called "round back" alternators and single terminal field

THIS thread

[/URL]

talks about "round back" and "square back." "Round back" can be grounded field or isolated field, but all "square back" are originally isolated field. Isolated field units can be grounded to operate with a 69 regulator, BUT ARE SOMETIMES grounded BY MISTAKE meaning a 70 regulator designed for isolated field will be ineffective and severely overcharge/ over voltage

What would be really helpful is a photo of your alternator and regulator
1: it’s a ACDelco 19135644 -
2: Third Party

16D868F3-1F01-408E-953D-E4E7A2150136.jpeg

-
Back