Voltage regulator problems

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A month ago I installed a electronic voltage regulator on my 66 Dart. You know the kind that looks like the original black metal can. The original point type regulator was noisy and all the lights flickered. The electronic one worked great until a few days ago when the old girl wouldnt start. The regulator screwed up and the alternator was charging 25 volts according to my tester. It also burned out the headlights,dome light, tail light and license plate light. I ended up putting in a new starter and battery also. I was lucky to get the battery replaced under warranty but the gal didn't want to
after it was boiled dry. I didn't think to check that. I put in a late model
"mini" starter. Way easy because of the small size but i'll miss the wing-ding
noise of the old starter. toolmanmike

I did the change over on my girl too, I took the points dist out and new electronic dist in and the blue box and the same regulator you did.
Know problems, knock on wood.
I will be doing the mini starter some time.
So how do you like the mini starter, You have a 273 in yours and I have heard that the same starter will fit my /6.
I think the price was about $160. Am I close?
Did you burn you voltage meter in your dash one time?

My amp gauge was smoked allready from running it with a dead battery. Too
many amps through the meter. This time I ruined the tach. It was a nice
tach with a shift light that I got from Mac. We don't have them any more.
I just came inside and I got all the bulbs replaced except the inside tail light.
It's a #1095 bulb and I couldn't find one tonight.
I like the mini starter allthough the lack of noise will take a little getting used to. I don't know about them fitting on a slant 6. The parts man pulled both starters and we compared them. They looked like they would bolt up the same so I tried it. It fit like a glove I bought mine at Car Quest for around $100. You'll have to try one if you can find one that fits. It seems to spin the motor over faster and it starts quicker. Good luck Mike

toolmanmike

yikes. sorry to hear about that. i was debating on going with that setup. but i am going to run the later 70 and up style, since im not worried about it looking original.

My amp gauge was smoked allready from running it with a dead battery. Too
many amps through the meter. This time I ruined the tach. It was a nice
tach with a shift light that I got from Mac. We don't have them any more.
I just came inside and I got all the bulbs replaced except the inside tail light.
It's a #1095 bulb and I couldn't find one tonight.
I like the mini starter allthough the lack of noise will take a little getting used to. I don't know about them fitting on a slant 6. The parts man pulled both starters and we compared them. They looked like they would bolt up the same so I tried it. It fit like a glove I bought mine at Car Quest for around $100. You'll have to try one if you can find one that fits. It seems to spin the motor over faster and it starts quicker. Good luck Mike

toolmanmike

Thanks Mike, My next starter will be a mini for sure.:-D

hey memike. if its true that all the ministarters will fit a slant six. you can get one from 440source.com for $89.95

hey memike. if its true that all the ministarters will fit a slant six. you can get one from 440source.com for $89.95

I have been told they will bolt right up and work on any slant six.
My dodge Dakota has a la 318 in it with a mini starter on it and a tec here said it will work.:cheers:

-
Back