voltage regulator

-

phf

Reaction score
my old voltage regulator is fried( for crying out loud its been there since '67). i got the mopar constant output regulator, but now i gotta wire it in. does anyone know how to do this?

my old voltage regulator is fried( for crying out loud its been there since '67). i got the mopar constant output regulator, but now i gotta wire it in. does anyone know how to do this?

The MP regulator is a drop in replacement. There is a screw terminal on top for the forked terminal wire on the harness and the short wire with the connector plugs into the wire with the plug from the harness.

If you accidently happened to order the new style one with the triangular plug you will also need to swap to the new style dual field alternator.

The MP regulator is a drop in replacement. There is a screw terminal on top for the forked terminal wire on the harness and the short wire with the connector plugs into the wire with the plug from the harness.

If you accidently happened to order the new style one with the triangular plug you will also need to swap to the new style dual field alternator.

i think i already have the dual field one. its the stock magnum unit

But what regulator did you buy? What you need to do to make it work will depend on which regulator you purchased.

I want to help but I'm confused too. Are you upgrading the charging system or just repairing ?

i got the late model engine with the 2 prong alternator. i got the mopar P3690731 regulator. i just need to know how to wire it up to the existing regulator harness

If this is the regulator you bought you might want to consider taking it back for a standard one. This regulator is designed for constant output for drag racing only. Driving it normally will cook your battery.

DCC-3690731

$25.88
Estimated Ship Date: Today
nav_overview2.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_end.gif
Brand:Mopar PerformanceProduct Line:Mopar Performance Voltage RegulatorsPart Type:Voltage RegulatorsVoltage Output:13.5 constant voltsVoltage Regulator Material:SteelVoltage Regulator Finish:BlueQuantity:Sold individually.Notes:Designed for drag racing use only.Voltage Regulator, 13.5 V Constant Output, Race Only, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth, Each

i got the late model engine with the 2 prong alternator. i got the mopar P3690731 regulator. i just need to know how to wire it up to the existing regulator harness

you going to the dual fld alt and regulator?

if so here is how to wire it... the blue wire is the one you have to add.

new0regulator2.jpg

If this is the regulator you bought you might want to consider taking it back for a standard one. This regulator is designed for constant output for drag racing only. Driving it normally will cook your battery.

I don't know why they call it a constant ouput, all voltage regulators from that time period were constant output. You have to maintain the system voltage round 13.8 to 14.1 volts to have constant current flow to the battery to keep it charged. If anything, they tend to under charge the battery by maintianing 13.5 volts.

In any case the regulator won't fry your battery. I used one for years until it crapped out a couple of years ago. FWIW, I am going on 7 years and 50k miles on the same battery and 2/3 of that was with the MP regulator. If I knew then what I know now I would have just gone to the local parts store and purcahsed a stock replacement regulator, even the old style single field ones are solid state. They are cheaper than the MP units and have a warranty unlike MP no warranty policy.

When I do this upgrade I carefully back the engine harness out from the altenater all the way around until it is draped out over the left headlight. Untape it inspect it all and add the blue wire reusing the connecter that was cut from the field connection (green wire) at original regulater on the alt end of this new blue wire. Tape it all up again and re install the harness.

I would also agree that 13.5 volts won't kill your battery. I am guessing that the reason the book says "race only" is because it is not a stock factory part and one of Mopar's lawyers said to use the term "race only" in case there is a problem later if someone does happen to cook something in their "street" application.

Chuck

If you still have your original `67 wiring harness ,another alternative would be to ground one of the alternators field wires to it`s case and install a 3690732 regulator.

DCC-3690731

$25.88
Estimated Ship Date: Today
nav_overview2.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_bkg.gif
nav_end.gif
Brand:Mopar PerformanceProduct Line:Mopar Performance Voltage RegulatorsPart Type:Voltage RegulatorsVoltage Output:13.5 constant voltsVoltage Regulator Material:SteelVoltage Regulator Finish:BlueQuantity:Sold individually.Notes:Designed for drag racing use only.Voltage Regulator, 13.5 V Constant Output, Race Only, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth, Each

also keep in mind that all mopar performance parts are not returnable and they carry no warranty.

-
Back