voltage regulator

-

maxie

Reaction score
how many of you are running a constant output voltage regulator?

I am running a regulor one, but have msd and an electric fuel pump. should I run a constant?

I don't know why Mopar Performance ever coined that term "constant output". With the exception of some late model cars where the voltage regulator is part of the computer and they control the ouput of the alternator based on ambient temperature I have never seen a voltage regulator that wasn't a constant output.

Any, back to your question if your charging system is keeping up with the addtional electrical demand of the MSD and fuel pump there is no need to change anything. If it isn't changing to one of the MP "constant output" regulators won't fix it.

Don't know what vintage your car is but if its 60's vintage and has a vintage regulator it is going to be mechanical. You can purchase a drop in replacement from most any parts store for $10 or so that will have electronic guts and will work better than a mechanical one. But if your electrical demand is greater than the rating of your alternator then you will need to upgrade it and likely the wiring too.

i had a constant 14.4 one and it boiled and killed a battery. I think they are good for drag cars and the such but my 63 did not like it. my .02

Ditto on that linc! I put one on my Dart and it also boiled the battery. And it also burned allmost every bulb out in the car.
Toolmanmike

the car is a 69. I am going to buy one of the new style with modern guts that looks like an originals.

I had a discharge problem this weekend that went away after the car warmed up. It was the first time the car was driven is cold weather. It was 47 degrees on the trip home, on the interstate and no heater.

I was wandering if the early regulators didnt like the cold.

Thats the kind of regulator I bought. I put on my old original one and will put up with the flickering lights at idle. toolmanmike

-
Back