Voltmeter

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can I remove the ammeter and replace it with a voltmeter and use the ammeter wires? (in a 74 duster)

Can I remove the ammeter and replace it with a voltmeter and use the ammeter wires? (in a 74 duster)

You will need to connect the two wires together that went to the amp meter and then from an "Ign on" source like you would a stereo that turns off with the key to the positive on your volt meter.
Volt meter negative will then be grounded to the body or dash frame.
This way when you turn your key to the on position your volt meter will then read system voltage.

If you try to use the amp meter wires for the volt meter it would be reading voltage all the time, even with the key off.
(I have a car here right now that someone did this to that I have to change.)

There is a hot at switch on wire in the round harness connector to instrument panel. It feeds 12 volts to the instrument voltage regulator. So if the volt gauge is going in the panel replacing the amp gauge that would be the closest most practical place to tap in.

I just did this on my 78 Power Wagon. Its a pretty straight forward swap. As TrailBeast stated you will need switched power on the positive side and a chassis ground. I connected my amp meter wires together and did the MAD electrical bypass at the same time. Find a gauge that sweeps the way you need and is of a two post design.

On mine the posts were not as long as the amp meter so I had to use a step drill on the rear to counter sink the connections.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

And this is a different style dash from my 73 where I replaced the gauges using the factory cutouts.
Left to right is Volts, Temp, Oil Pres, Speedo, Time. (I need to know what time it is frequently, and I don't like wearing a watch)

dash.jpg

Thanks for showing what to do,TrailBeast did you have to cut out the back of the cluster to fit the gauges?

-
Back