VOTE: Change front end Hilborn duster - sharktooth in hand- duster or demon front?

VOTE: Change front end Hilborn duster - sharktooth in hand- duster or demon front?

• 1973 front end, dual snorkel covering hilborn

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • 1973 front end, hilborn sticking out through hood

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • 1970 front end, sharktooth grille, hilborn through hood

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • 1970 front end, sharktoothe, hilborn through, make valance below bumper

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • 1971 demon front end, make work with sharktooth grille

• 1973 duster front end, replace bumper with panel

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 1970 duster front end, replace bumper with panel

• No Hood. Don't care about the rest

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
I've been thinking about changing the front end of my duster. It's a 73, needs the bumper re-chromed, and I was thinking about getting rid of the hood/hood scoop in favor of a fiberglass hood with just the stacks sticking through.

Well, I acquired a sharktooth grille a while back, and if I'm going to be changing the hood and re-chroming the bumper, this is as good a time as any to change the whole front end.

Keep in mind I'm going to road race this car, and I'll probably hit 150 mph on the straights. I need a front spoiler / air dam and probably some hood venting as well to keep the front end from floating at speed (like it currently does). Whichever front end I pick needs to look decent with a functional front air dam. Current plan is industrial conveyor belting attached to the XV radiator crossmember spanning the width of the car and sitting ~4" off the pavement.

I've got a few crazy ideas, and I need some votes here. Tell me what ya'll think.

Option A: Leave 1973 front end, cover hilborn with dual snorkel hood scoop.

Option B: Leave 1973 front end, stick stacks through hood, no hood scoop

Option C: Swap to 1970-72 duster front end with sharktooth grille, run stacks through hood

Option D:Swap to 1970-1972 duster front end with sharktooth grille, run stacks through hood, fit dart/demon front valance to help cover low radiator

Option E: Swap to 1970-1972 dart / demon front end, modify the dart pieces to fit with the sharktooth grille

Option F: Run a 73 duster front end, replace bumper with panel similar to picture below.

Option G: Run a 70-72 duster front end, replace bumper with panel similar to 1st gen Camaro's (see pic below).

Option H: No hood. Don't care about the rest.

Vote and give me some thoughts! I want to hear what you're thinking.

Thanks!
Wade

Option A: Car with twin snorkel hiding hilborn:

Option B: Like this but with taller stacks. Cleaned up of course.

Option C: Swap to 1970-72 duster front end with sharktooth grille, run stacks through hood (this pic doesn't have the right bumper- I don't have one yet):

Option D:No pic.

Option E: no pic

Option F: Run a 73 duster front end, replace bumper with panel similar to picture below.

Option G: Run a 70-72 duster front end, replace bumper with panel similar to 1st gen Camaro's (see pic below).

Option H: No hood. Don't care about the rest.

Engine pic:

Although from the choices you have offered, it kinda looks like you want to do the 70ish swap, I voted A like some of the others. It would be a big surprise to open the hood and find that underneath.

Sharktooth grilles are overplayed. How about a '68-69 Cuda front end. Would that fit?

I'm not sure I'm overly partial to any one option. My initial plan was option A, and all the other options have been ideas I've come up with over time.

The main reason I'm considering all options:
-I pulled the scoop to see how the stacks fit through the hood opening- well the dont. The rear stacks would end up outside of the scoop. As it currently sits, the short stacks are very close to the hood bracing right now. To get the 2nd harmonic into a useful range, they need to be longer and stick up further than the scoop. But, if the scoop wins out I'll run shorter stacks and hit the 2nd harmonic.
- the hood and scoop both need a little bodywork.
- I think I need hood pins, the dang the raises at speed. Maybe venting as well.

If I'm going to make the change, now is the time!

I voted for the 70 Duster doghouse , but I would use a 68 Valiant hood , grill and lower piece and then add the other piece. I really like that look , if you do it let me know how it comes out....

Frank

Attachments

• 73-68front.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 693
there are alot of befit's to all tat are listed. i vote for through what ever hood you pick. muselcar did a duster deman and cut parts out of the bumper rectangular part out made new parts with the dimpel holes to let the air through it

I voted for the 70 Duster doghouse , but I would use a 68 Valiant hood , grill and lower piece and then add the other piece. I really like that look , if you do it let me know how it comes out....

Frank

Now that's something I've never seen before! Very cool!!

I voted #1.
Instead of getting the bumper rechromed, maybe look into getting a fiberglass one to replace it.
Demon front fenders with the shark's tooth grille would just look terrible IMHO.

i cant find the better pic of the stacks on the falcon at the moment, i'll keep looking

Attachments

• Bob-Ream-Falcon-02.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 675
  • afx3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 656
395657_3175556913054_1827664218_n.jpg

406880_3175557073058_1889585044_n.jpg

:sign7: Wild card : Have someone make you a clear dual snorkel scoop.

I like where your head is at! I actually started looking into what clear plastics would be a good fit a week or two ago, as well as making a vacuum board to form the plastic. I think it would be difficult to pull off well.

The Demon front end is probably the most aerodynamic of all the front end options you have, except maybe the Valiant. Grille has the shortest vertical profile, and no big flat bumper like the Duster's had. The splash apron pulls more air into the radiator, and provides a better spot to mount a spoiler or air dam up front.

I'd run a Demon front end with a '67 Camaro spoiler. Similar idea to the panel below the grille on the '73 Duster you show, but with a more stock appearance.

Like Peter (GmachineDartGT) has his Dart set up...

attachment.php

Instead of this

32101520024_large1_zps8da441ea.jpg

I'd bet that between these two options the aerodynamics would be pretty similar, and you could always go with a larger spoiler/dam on the Demon front end and still have a more stock appearance vs using the Duster front end with a fiberglass panel and dam.

Not sure what it would take to make the sharktooth grille work with the Dart front end parts. I don't think the grille would make much of a difference with the aerodynamics, I think the Dart/Demon bumper and splash apron are the biggest benefits.

I voted for the Dodge front end, but do it with the Dodge grille, like the one above.

Stick with the dual snorkel idea and leave the 73 nose. Just de-chevify the engine compartment! MOPARS have body colored engine bays!

-
Back