W-2 heads,Intake,Headers?

-

bsad67

Reaction score
I have a set of W-2 heads that are ported, a intake and a set of headers maybe you guys can give me an idea of what it is worth the only problem is one of the heads is cracked it doesn't leak coolant or oil didn't even know it was cracked until it was sitting on the bench after we took it apart for rebuild. Thank you!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

the line on the valve cover rail is probably not a crack. the other line under the exhaust port-maybe, I would grind it down a little. then maybe have the head magnafluxed or zyglo checked. worth $1000. - $1500. ?

That crack looks like you let the water get hard. I would give zero for that head. You may be able to pin the crack and save it, but it's not worth chancing it. That's a bummer.

IIRC, there were some series of those heads that were breakers. If it didn't break from freezing, then the other will probably crack too.

That crack looks like you let the water get hard. I would give zero for that head. You may be able to pin the crack and save it, but it's not worth chancing it. That's a bummer.

IIRC, there were some series of those heads that were breakers. If it didn't break from freezing, then the other will probably crack too.

Sadly the car is inside all year round and never was even close to 32* what a waste of a set of ported heads. If we hadn't gone to the Indy heads we would have never known. Thanks guys!!

Sadly the car is inside all year round and never was even close to 32* what a waste of a set of ported heads. If we hadn't gone to the Indy heads we would have never known. Thanks guys!!

Hold on, don't jump off the cliff YET. I said I wouldn't pay for that head. You OWN them. You can try to pin them, then have them thorough pressure tested. You may say them. Damn shame to scrap stuff.

I have had some success welding cast iron. Also had some I couldn't save. If it was my head, I'd either pin it, try to weld it, or see if someone wants to try. If you send me the head, I'd weld it for the cost of the rod. If we can save it, BONUS. If not you are out some shipping. If I failed I'd even eat the cost of the rod.

I'm old enough to know this stuff is hard to get. I try to save what I can. It's up to you. Want to spend a bit on shipping? Let me know. If not, pinning is a damn good alternative. But I would try something.

EDIT: just noticed you are about as far from me geographically as we can get. The shipping will probably be close to a C note each way. I'm up for it if you are?

BTW, what chamber is in that head? If you just want to sell a single, or buy a single to match the one you'll have I may be able to help with that.

If it were mine I'd have to try and save it ,it make work good for a street car but may not hold up to high comp race abuse

I don't see the one at the exhaust port but the valve cover rail I would not worry about.

I don't see the one at the exhaust port but the valve cover rail I would not worry about.

RF, if you look at the second pic you can see the crack under the #2 exhaust. It starts just above the lower head bolt hole. Then it goes around that corner and stops just below the spark plug hole.

If the crack didn't go around a corner like that, I'd say pinning it has a 95% chance of success. I think I could give a punchers odds I could weld it and save the head. As I said, if it was mine, I'd at least take a shot to fix them.

the line under the exhaust port-GRIND IT- and see how deep it goes. He said it did not freeze. I work in a steel foundry. we grind (excavate) and weld dozens of castings every day. we grind down until it dye checks good, then heat and weld up, then throw in an oven to stress relieve

-
Back