W2 Blower Manifolds?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
Are roots blower manifolds availible for W2 heads? I'm drinking some wine and staring at a useable block in my garage and having some sick thoughts about how I can abuse my Duster. FORCED induction baby. :snakeman: I figure in this configuration stroking would not be necessary and I could get away with a stock block with billet caps and a with a half fill. Yes, all forged internals and premium H-Beams and Crank. No eagle stuff. 8.5:1 compression. Have I lost my mind?

Yes, roll cage, frame connectors and a Dana 60 were already part of the plan, so were the W2's. Should I save my money on the W2's and just use a good set of LA's with big valves that I already have? Maybe I ought to double check the rules I planned on bracket racing under, lol. Other suspension mods are already planned but I'm not willing to backhalf it.

Oh yeah, custom solid roller cam with a 112 LCA and 242 or so intake duration @ .050 and maybe .600 lift with my existing 1.6 Crane rollers. Two Holley 650 double pumpers on top. That would keep it somewhat streetable. I'd add a gear drive too.

Moper? BJR? I'm thinking I could make 650 hp with this combo without too much of a problem and run low 10's easy. Remember, I live at over a mile high altitude and I've seen the density altitude here at Bandimere exceed 9000'. Bandimere is at measured 6200' IIRC.

No need for a stereo in this Duster dream, pure mechanical music. :)

If you coulld find a manifold for standard 340 heads, it could be modified rather easily for the W-2's. A little welding and grinding.

If you coulld find a manifold for standard 340 heads, it could be modified rather easily for the W-2's. A little welding and grinding.

Dick Landy's got 'em for 318-360 LA and even magnum motors. http://www.dicklandy.com/Products/index.htm#Supercharger I thought that the intake bolt pattern was way different for the W2's? I don't have a TIG welder......Yet, lol. Oval vs. Rectangular would be a challenge too and I'm thinking that without a purpose made manifold, there would be no point in spending the money on the heads.

Edit: Holy Smokes! I just re-read that catalog and they got 'em for W2/W5 heads!

So what say y'all? 10 psi? 650 hp@6200 rpm? Pipe dream or reality? Will I need a radiator as big the windshield? A bigger cam? Will I have to stroke it to pull this off? I'd rather not for longevities sake and keep the piston speed low.

Damn you ramcharger!!! Now I am rethinking the 408 W5 build. I had no idea DLI was supplying these. Is there a price sheet available? BTW: What's the scoop on the 174 blower? Do you know where there are any specs on it?

Gotta call them. IIRC for the 174 blower and LA head setup it was around 3800. That was back '04 when I called them. The guy was cool, but no nonsense no tolerance for "educating" anyone. Tell him what you got and what you want (displacement, cam, heads, comp ratio) right off the bat. No tolerance for looky loo's, but he opened up once he realized what I wanted and that I had a bit of a clue. Not cheap but WTF. Imagine even 6 psi on a stroker!!! I get the chills just thinking about it!

And thanks for letting me know that I ruined your plans. :snakeman: I was thinking maybe of 9:1 with methanol/water injection or maybe..(yet another unposted idea).... lol! Glad to muck it up for ya!!!

I was thinking, would I really need W2's with 10 psi? That would save half the price of the blower and belt setup if I stuck with my big valve open chamber LA heads and forged dishes in this ratio are easy to find.... no custom piston prices. Plus, I wouldn't have to buy a intake manifold. :-D

Or...Big port heads, on big displacement. Hmmmm.. I wonder if this 174 ci blower could deliver with..... Never mind..... You don't bracket race out here in Colorado do you? lol! I want to make some money back, lol!

I always wanted to build a W2 blower motor but there wasn't a dedicated manifold available. I remember calling BDS quite a few years ago to ask if they had one and they said, "No, but they would make one for me if I covered the R&D". That ended that discussion.

I would really like to consider a blown W5 408 for the '35 Ply coupe but of course, doing so changes all the internals and adds at least another $4-5K to it. I am torn between blowing it and running it normally aspirated. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

I just added on, keep reading. :) My ex's dad even liked the "Plymouth Business Coupes" as he called them and this is coming from a guy who builds BMW SCCA cars.

GTX, here's the deal as I sit making plans myself. Would I be satisfied with a 500hp lopey stroker **** Duster? Yeah, pretty much. OK, now add instant off idle response and another 150 to 200 hp even with a big cam. Hmmm....... Now add shock value. :poke: Then top that cake with blower and gear driven whine that let's everyone know in 4 block radius that you take no **** and this 'aint no poser. :-D Every Hondaccurazukiotabmvolvoararri in the hood will freak, turbo or no turbo. This will be MAN'S Plymouth, not some kid's toy. :snakeman: Clint Eastwood would do it, why wouldn't we? ROTFLMAO!!!

Now, we just gotta figure out a way to pay for it. Neccesity breeds invention. :read2:

BTW, I love those old Plymouth coupes too. :-D Too bad they don't make a blower manifold for the "Red Ram" Hemi! That would be too cool regardless of what hp it could make.

No dual carbs with the Weiand 174 blower but a big *** dominator would work:=P~=P~=P~

I got woke up three times with Emergency Calls. My job sucks. I'm on salary (slavery). I can't sleep....

large6021-1.jpg

i have read somewhere about some australian company making blower manifolds for W2 smallblocks ;)
btw i have also started on one of these stupid blower smallblockbuilds, mostly planing so far but i already have a lysholm screwtype blower and am planing to have an old aluminum intake manifold rearanged to work with that blower and then a big fat dominator on top of it all, will run my old eddyheads and yes im planing on somewhere north of 600hp anyone want to gues how much power a solidrollercamed eddyheaded pumpgas 340 can make runing some 14psi of boost ? my plan is also that Every Hondaccurazukiotabmvolvoararri in the hood will freak ;)

WOW! Let's hear it for our Swedish and Finnish friends!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Please keep us updated on your projects and how everything works out.

Duster340,

I too have read up on the screw type superchargers. They are supposed to be more effeceint and use less energy per pound of boost and heat the compressed air/fuel mixture less. Here's a pic and video of a boat with two Hemis..... Each Hemi has twin (!!!!) screw type superchargers. In the video, the guy is getting passed by this boat doing 148 mph!! I hope this helps to keep you motivated. :read2:

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/images/pages/boat/148mph.wmv Turn it up!! This is such a beautiful sound with two hemi's wailing away!!

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat1.jpg

Nice work Dartblower! I take it you have a tig welder, a big bandsaw and a friend with a mill. :) It looks like you are going with fuel injection judging by the bosses mounted in the runners on the one manifold? Please give us more details!

Thanks for interesting blower intakes :D

So here is few pics what we have done here with frends or by myself:
and little stories about what have happen ........

Thi first project is somekind of interesting too :D

its Ford diesel 2T blower, made 1936 :D

its now one of my frend duster, i make this work;

kln-blower.jpg

and first using offy 4 bbl intake, just have to weld littlebit, and make some macinework

nextstep2.jpg

more work............then

offy4bbl.jpg

Offy4bbltoblower.jpg

here is 2 offys, 4 bbl and 2 x 4 bbl

nextstep.jpg

then just make few plates :D

plate.jpg

intakeplate.jpg

eatthis.jpg

this blowermodel is difficult, cannot buy any parts ready, so snoke have to do allso

klnfront1.jpg

and one of my frend make these parts costs some 500 usd :D

klnwheels2.jpg

i dont have all pics but result is like this :D

Klnfor400.jpg

Klnfor4004.jpg

So this continues........this is ford köln 2t blower :D

this second blower is allso interesting, my fend use R3 block, so cannot buy ready intake for blower because its shorter than exmple 360, now its 334 cid....... so we make / try to make :D
my frend bought a tic and make this weld job first

IMG_0001-2.jpg

i worked with these plates, one frend helpping with macinework........

IMG_0003-1.jpg

I use plasticplates to making holes and so on.............

IMG_0004-2.jpg

and making bolt work..........

pppp.jpg

so, then needed snoke measurements, so i use my engine to check out it :D

pp.jpg

and frend make the waterlines ........

IM000354.jpg

pp.jpg

so looking good...........:D

IMG_0002-1.jpg

ok, and here is just few pics of sb tunnelram blower intake, its not ready yet but maybe after 6-8 months, because working now with BB engine :D

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

And now working with my bb blower engine.....................

I make my first model intake using 2x4 offy, and using elect. fuelinjection, how it goes :D..................

there i just few pics before any story what was happen.................

start.jpg

offy2x4bbl-blower.jpg

newoffy.jpg

Justforinjection2.jpg

so first model was done, but now i know why like these intakes for blower is not for sale; offy singleplane intake not working what was expected. cylinders 1-2-7-8 working ok, but 3-4-5-6 goes lean because these get more air than otherones...............using holley 950 commander and 720 cc injectors, so pistons burn littlebit

IMG_0004-3.jpg

so now have try to make better intake :D

wheristhewall.jpg

i bought offy tunnelram from Canada :D

offy1.jpg

and frend make weld work, not using tic; just 100% argon, alum.wire and mic
because its so hard work with tic, have to fill so much...........so mic is better and faster....................

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

so after weld work, can use masinerywork ...........

IMG_0113.jpg

and handmake work, then can weld more again ..........

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

so after so many hours of work, all is now welded and cleaned the splash
i make tunnelram pasta :D:D

IMG_0147.jpg

+200 celsius and 5 hours :D

so more pics coming when something happen again

some good pics Dartblower!

this is the only pic i have so far

nytt007.jpg

i also have a snout and overflow valve for it but thats about it, making a manifold for this will be a litle bit of a challange since the inlet is in the very far back wish you can see in the pic (it has a dominator flange) and the outlet is in the very front of the case(also vissible if you look close at the pic you will se a fine white line at the bottom of the case that is the protectivetape covering the outlet),making the blower having a pretty big setback that makes me alitle worried that it will interfere with the distributor, especialy since the overflow valve is also in the back of the case. but time will tell:)

I called Dick Landy a couple of weeks ago looking for a small blower setup only to find out that the business got sold shortly after Mr Landy passed away and that the new owners are no longer in the MOPAR business. Seems like DL now focuses on the VW market only. The lady I spoke with took some time to look around in back but could't find anything. I don't have any leads on an alternative.

Dartblower,

Very nice work! Also, I never in a million years would of thought that the Russians were copying gmc blowers, lol.

Birdrockbomb,

That's truly sad and unfortunate. All we need is another "EMPI". Looks like e-bay is our only choice.

I called Dick Landy a couple of weeks ago looking for a small blower setup only to find out that the business got sold shortly after Mr Landy passed away and that the new owners are no longer in the MOPAR business. Seems like DL now focuses on the VW market only. The lady I spoke with took some time to look around in back but could't find anything. I don't have any leads on an alternative.

That is incredibly sad. DLI is just going to be memories now.

-
Back