W2 coolant leak

-

Moparpuller

Reaction score
I Have a set of w2s on a 360 that are leaking coolant under the valve seats. There was thin spots in the castings and have pin holes under the seats. Is there any way to fix this? Possible to hard block the heads. They are on a sled pulling truck that only runs for a few mins and can be drug around the pits to avoid overheating. Thanks grant

Where exactly is the leak?
On the quick I’d say some welding would work since it’s cast iron but this may be an over simplification.

Where exactly is the leak?
On the quick I’d say some welding would work since it’s cast iron but this may be an over simplification.
I believe under the valve seats. It did it last year and my machinist had it welded and put new seats in. I’ve pulled it 5 times this year and it did it again. Pretty sure it filled a cylinder this time and broke a rod. I’m going to start tearing it down tonight

My 2 suggestions would be.......

Goodson “seal all”, which is done prior to assembly

Then run a pretty low pressure radiator cap.

Or, run it on methanol with the cooling system dry

Alright thanks. Methanol is not legal in this class. On the seal all would 1 bottle be enough for both heads

Oh good gravy! Best of luck!
Take some pictures for us!

Loosen the radiator cap altogether . ...
Then top it off before each run . Your in the dirt so no one cares if you leak .

Started pulling plugs and valve covers last night. Number 8 plug has been hit and it has a bent valve on number 2 and 8. Pics to follow tonight

The methanol thing was what I was gonna say. Hell yeah.

I had a guy tell me that he ran one for 3 years with no water on race gas. Just made sure to drag it around and didn’t let the oil get over 240
I'm not doubtin it one single bit. I've seen it at the drag strip.

A piston came apart and destroyed a cylinder

489E7FAF-AB88-42E8-B7B7-46922D7AF1EE.jpeg

Do you think thd cylinder might have started to come apart before the piston ? My dad had a 360 block that I think that is what happened.

Do you think thd cylinder might have started to come apart before the piston ? My dad had a 360 block that I think that is what happened.
I’m not sure yet without pressure testing the heads. It was turning 8200 when I let off Hard to say what actually happened

-
Back