W2 headed 340...wiw?

-

bamadart

Reaction score
I know it's hard to say for sure without seeing or hearing but I would like some input from folks that know more than me what a 340 that is now a 408 I think, W2 heads, 555 solid lift cam, all MSD ignition, 12:5 motor pretty fresh might be worth
Any input much appreciated

I know it's hard to say for sure without seeing or hearing but I would like some input from folks that know more than me what a 340 that is now a 408 I think, W2 heads, 555 solid lift cam, all MSD ignition, 12:5 motor pretty fresh might be worth
Any input much appreciated

Not enough info. If it's a race-only piece, post a time slip along with what the car weighed at the time of the run, some info about the rest of the combo etc.

A 408 is usually 360-based, 340-based 4" strokers are usually in the 416-418 c.i. range depending on bore size.

W2s and strokers in general can take more cam if they're done right. Sounds like a mild combo but with 12.5 compression, something does not sound quite right with those specs. I'd verify everything. Maybe pull a head off and take a look.

W2 heads are old school iron. They work but things have advanced since they were introduced.

Is there an asking price? Does it run? What does it come with?

2500-3500 depending on how complete it is carb to pan with water pump higher end long block lower end. What intake? Ported? By who? Etc

I would say whatever the individual pieces are worth, there's your answer. Anybody serious enough to buy it would tear it slam apart to make damn sure all is well.

i will guess. As much as 5k depending on reciepts and how fresh and as low as 2k needing a rebuild but running. Less if theres been a catastrophic failure.

I was wrong, it is a 416, I don't know who did the work but it is in a car I am considering trading for, it is complete carb to pan with headers and msd dist, I just don't have any use for an engine that isn't pump gas friendly but don't want to put too much money in it either, I do appreciate the opinions, that's what I love about this site

I'd bet that when it comes down to someone actually plunking down the cash, it would be hard to get over $3,000 or even that......too many variables that it could have some hidden problem. Maybe if it was never fired and had receipts......

If it was freshened and had some slips or pulls that would get it real money. Otherwise it's whatever you feel comfortable with paying. If the car runs and drives, drive it and settle on a figure. If it was sitting at a swap meet I'd be looking to pull the valve cover and pan to give anything with 4 figures.

in 1989 I was 19, a older man had a w2340 on a stand and with the valve covers off I got to see the heads and big pan, at 19 I was in AAAWWWW, long story short I bought his 72 duster drag car then came up with 2500 and did a buy out for the w2 340 and numerous blocks and parts to start a mopar salvage yard lol, I took that 340 apart it wasn't anything he was claiming it was suppose to be, as of this day I still have the heads unused but the shortblock I have used, anyhow that's what I paid back in the day

-
Back