w2 headed magnum

-

a2000rt2

Reaction score
Where can I get pushrods for this setup? And are the rockers the same for the race and econo heads, just the shafts are diff.
Thanks

Are you asking if you can use W2 heads on a magnum block? They'll physically bolt on, but I'm pretty sure that's a no go unless you have the capability to drill the oil passages from the cam journals up to the deck. Even if you run oiling lifters and pushrods, it still won't properly oil the shafts/rockers...unless I've been misled...

You can put Magnum heads on a LA block but you can't put LA heads on a magnum block.

That's the question because the heads say pushrod oiling, but didn't,t know about any other oiling

That's what I said above...the oiling in a Magnum block doesn't work the same way. Magnums oil through the lifters and pushrods like other domestic engines. If you bolt the heads on, they'll physically go on, and bolt down if the proper hardware is used, but you'll have no capability to oil through the rocker shafts, unless you're a very good machinist and can drill a hole from the deck surface perfectly down to the #2 and 4 cam journals...

In short...just not worth it...are you tied to the Magnum block? There are good heads available aftermarket, or do you have W2 heads and need an LA block? Either way the parts are available...

The newer version of W2 heads oil thru the pushrods...and use T&D rockers...the older crane style rockers do not fit on the newer heads...

so they can be used on either block ....

make sure you know what head you are getting before buying w2 these days...as those T&D are not cheap...

They are the newer heads, but he says they have the crane gold rockers on them

There are many version of W2 heads out there...better make sure what you got before spending alot of money

Whats the diff between the t&d rockers and the crane gold for the regular w2, do the crane still need oil to the shafts? All I can find is that the t&d say they are oiled through tappet and pushrods. Do the t&d have passages to oil their shafts from te pushrod.

The Crane rockers need oil from the shaft to oil at the pivot but the T&D Rockers are a pressurized oiling that means the get oiled thru the pushrod and the pivot gets oil thru a hole that is drilled thru the rocker and also at the tip if it had that option added to the rocker. That's what I have on my W8 heads.

So I could drill a hiole to the pivot center and use the cranes. I could also use external oiling to the shafts, but how do I get that oil to the shafts from the mag block.

but how do I get that oil to the shafts from the mag block

...pretty sure I addressed this...

drill a hole from the deck surface perfectly down to the #2 and 4 cam journals...
...as in an LA block. The rocker shaft oiling comes from the deck on LAs, so if you want it to function in a magnum block (which aren't drilled for that provision), you need to either drill a hole from the deck down through the casting into the #2 and #4 cam bearings (#2 on the left bank, #4 on the right bank) perfectly, and use LA block cam bearings and LA drilled cam (Magnums don't have the oiling holes in those journals to facilitate oiling rocker shaft oiling) that provision won't exist.

It's definitely possible to be done, but you'd need some really good drill bits and by the time you were done paying for it and the LA hybrid parts, the T&D rockers would probably be more advantageous.

So I could drill a hiole to the pivot center and use the cranes. I could also use external oiling to the shafts, but how do I get that oil to the shafts from the mag block.

I suppose you could drill the holes, but again, you'll have costs incurred drilling them to make them just like the T&D rockers...unless you have full access to precision machining/drilling equipment for no cost and proficiency using it. If you do have those things-great, get on it...and post pictures.

Look at these pictures...the upper one is a mag block-observe the deck surface above the #2 cam journal between cylinders 1 and 3, above the head bolt hole-just two steam holes...then look at the second picture. It's an LA block (360)...the same location has a drilled hole for oil pressure to the rocker shaft.

Attachments

• mag block.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_1154a.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 471
Pretty sure you can run an external line from the back of the block where the oil pressure switch is mounted or where most people plumb their oil pressure gauge. You would have to run the line into each of the valve covers and into the side of the shaft. Some shafts have threaded ends for plugs versus the press fit plugs. I have not personally seen this done but imagine it can be done.

That cam I was looking at is gone already, was a brand new comp and he sold it for 50. Was gone within 30 min. But planning on around 560-570 at the valve. So how big would you go with the cranes. I work in a machine shop, so the mods wouldn't be a problem, just looking to see what all ways it could be done. May even build our own rockers once I figure it out. Or mod the cranes for others if it was easily done.

The motor is going to be a 408, with a a518 and 3k stall going into a 66 valiant post.

-
Back