W2/Oval port heads

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
So on ebay I scored a nos Holley street dom. intake for the W2 heads. This intake has the hot water heat that runs under the carb for street use in cool weather. Heck I run exhaust heat on my intakes right now all summer long, works fine and like now when the nights are cool, its great to have a heated intake.

But like W2 heads aren't made anymore, not the open chambers type. I know Indy heads make an Oval port head on the W2 pattern but they are close chamber and aluminum. I really like heavy cast iron heads cause they seal better and hold the heat in the chambers.

Do I have any opitions other then watch ebay forever and hope a old set of non ported W2 heads come up--which even if they do, I don't have the funds to buy them now.

This intake is going in my basement for now, maybe one day I want a real strip/street car.

Here is the link to the intake, hard for me to believe I was the only bidder, heck!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0626077022&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So Dodge Freak, what would you pay or trade for these heads in my possession for the past 15 years formally belonging to Ed Hamburger. They are together with Harlen Sharp rockers and basically in stock form flow tested at 270cfm @ 600 lift
340W2014.jpg

340W2016.jpg

340W2018.jpg

340W2017.jpg

please school me, what is the difference between a regular ported head and an oval port? is there more of a benifit in doing this?

I just know in an old hot rod mag 1979 story (which I sold cause I needed the $, ha ha) they took a low compression stock 360 crate motor and first swap cams, power went up somewhat. Then in the last test they used this intake and W2 heads and power went way up, most noticeable after 4,000 rpm. Like I said I sold it but I think it was like a 75 hp gain and the motor pulled much higher rpm. This was with a street friendly cam and 8.5 compression.

please school me, what is the difference between a regular ported head and an oval port? is there more of a benifit in doing this?

Well, the regular stock head has ports in the shape of a rectangle. While the W2 heads intake ports are oval like a high school running track. There also moved upwards to help straighten out the air flow for a better path past the valve into the cylinder head.

You can see the exhaust ports above which are D shaped. These are also raised for the same reasons.

The W2 heads were Chryslers first race head made of cast iron. They retain the earlier X J type chamber in shape, CC's and have the 2.02/1.60 valves. They come in many flavors. 48* or 59* valves, larger 2 inch springs, etc....

Before Chrysler made intake manifolds for the W2 Bob Mullens and others would use a spacer and Chevy manifolds. I have many books on subjects regarding the W2's. Somewhere in my travels I lost those spacers but you need not be a rocket scientist to figure it out and with Chevy's Tuned port injection systems of the 80's and 90's something like that done right could be a very desirable street motor

-
Back