W2 rocker arms.

-

chrispy1971gtx

Reaction score
I was browsing ebay looking for some replacement W2 rocker arms and noticed that the rights have the oil hole omitted. Is this typical of them all? My set are the econo-unbushed versions and appeared to all be drilled for oiling. Only difference in the ones listed are the bushings.

I was looking, particularly, for rights.

W2 Mopar and W5 Mopar Iron Bushed Rocker Arm Set - Used | eBay

12 new unused (holes) and 4 new (blanks)...maybe they make em like blanks like that now for more oil control? Eazy enough to drill I suppose. Jeez, $500? Oookay....

Mopar made both types of castings that you see there. One style they did not drill the top hole when they bushed the rocker arm. The added another hole under the nose to oil the valve stem instead. Better oiling at high RPM for the valve tip - oil does not get flung off as it drips off the top and down the rocker arm nose. They drilled these on the top only when they were not bushed. The unbushed were called econo rockers. They were cheaper than the bushed to allow more people to afford the W2 set up.

Later they drilled all the rocker arms to facilitate production. When they press in the bushing it blocks the top oil hole. They add the additional hole under the nose to lube the rocker tip on the bushed rockers. See pictures.

I have owned all these types of rocker arms at some point.

See pictures of drilled intake rocker arm. No oil to the top through the bushing. Oil hole under the nose.

P1050646.JPG

P1050647.JPG
P1050648.JPG
P1050649.JPG
P1050646.JPG

Last edited:
The ones I had were drilled under the arm so the oil would squirt on to the top of the valve and the holes on top of rocker were tig welded closed.

Picture of an econo W2 intake rocker. No bushing and oil hole is on the top of the rocker like the stock 273 mechanical rocker arms. No hole drilled under the nose.

12C7697C-ED72-4CE7-84C9-16E3D2200C21.jpeg
D7841B2F-117A-4ECC-949E-AACD17DA2559.jpeg
96B80293-46B7-4AFD-9AE4-AB4F900A5357.jpeg

That's not a W2 it's a T/A rocker
it's kind of hard to say from the pics, because there is no scale. If you seem them next to each other, it is obvious. The W2 rocker is like twice as heavy. It has a much thicker wall.
I believe I've read that the AAR & T/A rockers and heads have been referred to, by some, as W1's.

There really easy to tell the difference between the 2.
The W2 on top T/A on bottom The offset is the only difference

P1050647.JPG

12C7697C-ED72-4CE7-84C9-16E3D2200C21.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures on the rocker arms. So question: is it possible they made an early and late versions of RA's? I have a pair of offsets: 3577691/692 left/right, bushed with really beefy support around the adj. screw. No reinforcements like my other econo-and NOS bushed ones I have. The center right is an unbushed evono.

20190126_101321.jpg

The ones on the left are an older model without the holes drilled on the top. They also sometimes had the hole at the back by the pushrod cup wended so the oil was forced down the threads into the cup. See pictures below. These were from Direct Connection in the late 1980's. First set I ran.

P1020620.JPG
P1020625.JPG

They changed the casting to the ones on the right in your picture when they began making both the econo W2 without bushing (cheaper rocker arm to buy) and the bushed W2 for higher RPM use (see my earlier post with the different part numbers. For the higher RPM bushed they added the bushing, it blocked the top oiling hole and they added the valve stem oiling hole under the nose.

Regardless of which ones you run they will work the same and there should be no issue to interchange them.

The ones on the left are an older model without the holes drilled on the top. They also sometimes had the hole at the back by the pushrod cup wended so the oil was forced down the threads into the cup. See pictures below. These were from Direct Connection in the late 1980's. First set I ran.

View attachment 1715281393 View attachment 1715281394

They changed the casting to the ones on the right in your picture when they began making both the econo W2 without bushing (cheaper rocker arm to buy) and the bushed W2 for higher RPM use (see my earlier post with the different part numbers. For the higher RPM bushed they added the bushing, it blocked the top oiling hole and they added the valve stem oiling hole under the nose.

Regardless of which ones you run they will work the same and there should be no issue to interchange them.
thanks for the input. that answers some questions I had.

-
Back