W5 vs W2 inlet manifolds

-

evil66

evil66
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a W5 and W2 inlet manifold bolt up the same and have the same valley angle /bolt hole configuration? Besides the difference in port shape (rectangle and oval) and the w5 possibly having a slightly higher inlet port would they interchange or does the w5 have a different valley angle / bolt configuration? Hope that makes sense.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if a W5 and W2 inlet manifold bolt up the same and have the same valley angle /bolt hole configuration? Besides the difference in port shape (rectangle and oval) and the w5 possibly having a slightly higher inlet port would they interchange or does the w5 have a different valley angle / bolt configuration? Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense, but what do you want to accomplish? The W5 ports are considerably higher (raised) than a W2. That's why the W5 has end rail spacers that come with it.

Almost anything can be made to interchange. The question becomes is it worth it in time, effort and cost.

I wouldn't do it.

They will bolt up with no mods
I had a pair of w2 heads that were ported to rectangular shape to match w5 intakes.

How do you account for port height difference?

I had both W2 and W5 heads and still have W2's. When I had them both the thought never occurred to me to try and swap intakes.

If you have one set of heads and the other intake, seems to me either find the other heads or the other intake.

Several years ago a local roundy round guy ran a w-5 headed small block with a w-2 intake on it. There was quiet a bit of welding on the intake. I asked why the w-2 intake and he said his engine builder liked them better than the w-5 intakes.

Makes sense, but what do you want to accomplish? The W5 ports are considerably higher (raised) than a W2. That's why the W5 has end rail spacers that come with it.

Almost anything can be made to interchange. The question becomes is it worth it in time, effort and cost.

I wouldn't do it.

Looking at a blower inlet manifold that was cast to suit W2 heads but really want to run W5 heads. I put a w2 inlet gasket on a w5 head and it doesn't seem impossible to do some welding /port matching if the angle is the same between the two. If it was just an NA combo i would just buy the right manifold to suit.

-
Back