wabble in the rear??

-

sniekamp

Reaction score
My 74 dart has a wabble in the back right side when im going about 5-20 Mph. I was hoping its not the axel. And thought if it was the wabble wouldn't go away. Any ideas on what this could be? The shocks are bad in the car, idk if that can cause problems with wobble as well?

Are you feeling or seeing the "wabble"?

If the car feels like it's hopping up and down on one corner, it's probably a worn out or broken shock.

It the wheel is spinning off axis, look for a bent rim, bent drive axle, and/or loose lug nuts.

probably a broken belt in tire. Try putting spare on to see if it goes away. Hope this helps Joe

Thanks guys that helps a lot! It may be the shocks or the tire belt. Old tires and bad shocks so those are probably the culprit. Got new shocks to put on so hopefully that helps it!

I doubt shocks are the problem. They absorb shock and nothing more.
My quarter is bet on a bad tire.

have had this problem before. When driving slow it would wiggle all around but get less noticable as speed went up. Tires looked good but belt was broken. At least it won't cost anything to put spare on.

Jack the car up on that side.
Place a brick or 2x4 on the ground beside the tire.
Spin the tire if you see any wobble out of the rim or the tire tread you have found your problem.
Also grab the wheel and try to move it up and down, and left and right any play, aything but tight there is a loose axle bearing.
Simple test will not cost you anything.
Hippie

Im gunna give all those things a shot and see what I come up with. The shocks I know are toast. Very old and worthless. So if its not that ill cross my fingers for a tire or rim. Hope its not the axel. I just bought the car and it had a smaller spare on it when I test drove it. Thought that was causeing the wabble. Ill let you all know how it goes!

if you don't have a spare swap one of your other tires to there and see if wobble moves

Found out it was the belt that was broken in the tire! Jacked it up and spun the tire and saw it wasn't even. When I pulled it off I saw the belt was broke in 2 places haha. Thanks everyone!

-
Back