Walking your poop shooters....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
What type of collars do you folks use? We took Azul, Mita & Daisy to the vet for their annual exam. I have been doing a bit of training with the 3 of them, all in our yard.

Azul & Mita do not pull at all when on the leash in the yard. The same can not be said for when they are in public. We got them ourof the Explorer and I literally got dragged thru the parking lot. They only had a normal collar on. One of the young ladies at the vets office suggested one of these...
EWH_RED_a.jpg

Easy Walk® Harness

Choker; recommended by Caesar Millan.
But my 70# handsome mongrel cur is so mellow, about 98% of the time, he's off-leash. In 4 years, I think he mightta barked 4 times.
My secret?
Exercise, discipline, and affection.
He runs about 15 miles a week at 25 to 35kph, lessee, that would be averaging 18mph. But he gets one day off.I keep him tired,
and a bit hungry,
but after the first two (exercise and discilpine) are met,I love the crp out of him.
And that makes him good.He likes to learn new stuff, meet new dogs,and is great with the grandkids who climb all over him and use him for a stool to get up on things,lol. Just goes to show that a dog without balls is ......... is always looking for something to lick.....
He does not require a choker.

What type of collars do you folks use? We took Azul, Mita & Daisy to the vet for their annual exam. I have been doing a bit of training with the 3 of them, all in our yard.

Azul & Mita do not pull at all when on the leash in the yard. The same can not be said for when they are in public. We got them ourof the Explorer and I literally got dragged thru the parking lot. They only had a normal collar on. One of the young ladies at the vets office suggested one of these...
View attachment 1715168870
Easy Walk® Harness
I had the same problem with our new one. Pulls like crazy, until he chokes and pukes. Worked with him everyday to no avail. Tried the harness with no luck. Signed up for obedience training and the trainer offered this to try and it like a miracle. Not anywhere as cruel as it looks. Put it around your arm and give it a tug and you see. No poking or cruel pain. Dog walks calm, no more pulling or bolting. No more nightmare walks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006L0UGW/?tag=joeychgo-20

CFF4B99B-A2A7-4074-BE21-CE68B0F90D73.jpeg

I always train my dogs to not leash walk. Even when I lived in the city. It was easier to train them to be off leash. I always kept a leash for each dog with me in case some one complained.

I was walking 5 dogs a day at the same time with no leashes but I live outside the city now. They go by voice commands.

I had the same problem with our new one. Pulls like crazy, until he chokes and pukes. Worked with him everyday to no avail. Tried the harness with no luck. Signed up for obedience training and the trainer offered this to try and it like a miracle. Not anywhere as cruel as it looks. Put it around your arm and give it a tug and you see. No poking or cruel pain. Dog walks calm, no more pulling or bolting. No more nightmare walks.

View attachment 1715168911
This, it only tightens so far if you get the right size and set it it up for the dog.. It has helped me retrain Pits that were trained to pull cinder blocks around. Regular chokers can do damage.

View attachment 1715168911
Use the same on my dog. I have never really had an issue with him pulling but can’t say the same about when my wife walks him. That collar takes care of it for her.

I always train my dogs to not leash walk. Even when I lived in the city. It was easier to train them to be off leash. I always kept a leash for each dog with me in case some one complained.

I was walking 5 dogs a day at the same time with no leashes but I live outside the city now. They go by voice commands.
We have 4 Redbone Coonhounds...there nose would get them in trouble if they were not on a leash. One of the 3 month old pups...Trump...second he hits the outdoors his nose is on the ground and he is GONE. Pretty sure, with a bit of work, Daisy could go off leash...as long as Ernie is near. Daisy has SEVERE seperation anxieties when it comes to Ernie. We were going to pick up the pups in Montana. Stopped at a rest stop, Ernie took Daisy for a stroll. Handed me the leadh so she could go use the restroom...Daisy literally starting trembling, wimpering out of control. Once she seen Ernie I couldn't contain her...

Of course some dogs are more persistent/stubborn than others, but if they think the pulling is productive they'll keep doing it. You can't control a deranged dog with just one arm. Hold the leash loop in one hand and run the leash behind your back (where your thighs meet your ***), and then walk the dog with the other hand. They can throw a fit all they want, but eventually they figure out they are trying to pull out a tree stump. Doesn't work on them all, but the majority learn pretty quick to knock it off. Even if they don't...at least you're not getting dragged around.

We have 4 Redbone Coonhounds...there nose would get them in trouble if they were not on a leash. One of the 3 month old pups...Trump...second he hits the outdoors his nose is on the ground and he is GONE. Pretty sure, with a bit of work, Daisy could go off leash...as long as Ernie is near. Daisy has SEVERE seperation anxieties when it comes to Ernie. We were going to pick up the pups in Montana. Stopped at a rest stop, Ernie took Daisy for a stroll. Handed me the leadh so she could go use the restroom...Daisy literally starting trembling, wimpering out of control. Once she seen Ernie I couldn't contain her...

Coonhounds would be an issue. They get on a scent and you're right...they are gonezo.

It's also incredible how these animals attach to each other. When my German Shepard went down, my border collie went into a massive funk. For months. Then we rescued a little mutt and the border collie adopted her and they are now best pals. We have 2 maybe 3 real good knock down, drag out run through the house fights every night. They are good entertainment.

On the 10th I lost my little schnauzer and my little chihuahua pug mix is lost without her.

These dogs have feelings.

We have used the gentle leader many times in the past, and they work alright! After Bella chewed thru the 3rd leader, I decided not to buy another! Now I simply use her collar, but I run the strap of her lead under her left front leg when I walk her! Dogs don’t like to be redirected, and any pulling by her now redirects her towards the left and pulls her head down! When the bride walks her, which is almost never, she allows the lead and collar to go to the top of her back, which is where dogs like it to be, because they are natural pullers. Any collar or harness that does not pull their head down, and allows the leash to be on the top is never going to stop them from pulling, only increase their desire to pull!

I have spent hours researching the behavior of dogs, because I figured if we were getting a dog, I wanted it to be trained right! We have one of the best trained dogs I’ve ever seen, all done by simply living in the dogs world, and using the dogs natural behavior as a tool against them! Never try to conform a dog to live in your world, you must change your behavior, not theirs! I know it sounds crazy, but it works, if you are astute enough to recognize how that works!!

I clicked a carabiner onto the bottom of the hook on the leash. When we took them out for their final trip of the day I ran the leash around his chest, just behind his front legs and thru the carabiner...Trump pulled a bit, until the leash got tight and then stopped. As soon as I hooked the leash up he was pulling like a freight train.
Couple folks in a FB group suggssted a Thunderleash...
No Pull Leash | Shop No Pull Dog Leashes | ThunderWorks
which is where I got the idea from...
15246650870693538981975085805837.jpg

Last edited:
We use a harness that goes around their chest and the leash attached on their back. Works great for both our dogs, one 80lbs and one 30lbs.

Put a large key ring in place of the carabiner. Have walked both pups, worked well. Trump pretty much stopped pulling...Lincoln would pull very lightly for a few seconds every now and then.
Several companies offer leashes with the abilty to do what I am doing, hook the leash to the collar & then run it around their chest behind their front legs. The end of the leash then goes thru the key ring.
I am using a $9 leash from Petsmart and a keyring I had laying around. The commercial leashes are $25 and up...

I have a 7 year old 140 lb Great pyrenees. She is a rescue pooch from the local shelter. After two weeks her and i bonded and she has been an off leash dog ever since. The only time she bolts is if she sees a squirrel. Then she comes back to my side. And she has been trained to pee and poop at home i have her on a pretty good schedule.

2v3j9g7.jpg

I have a 7 year old 140 lb Great pyrenees. She is a rescue pooch from the local shelter. After two weeks her and i bonded and she has been an off leash dog ever since. The only time she bolts is if she sees a squirrel. Then she comes back to my side. And she has been trained to pee and poop at home i have her on a pretty good schedule.

View attachment 1715169751

She is Gorgeous Fisher!

What's her name?

She is Gorgeous Fisher!

What's her name?
I named her Maggie Mae. I sat on the floor of the rescue shelter and let her choose me, that way i knew she felt safe and wanted me to be her human. She came 3 times sniffed then left then came back and gave me her paw. I knew then she was coming home.

My new furry buddy was a rescue and was wild (and still is to a point.) I use a harness on him and on occasion will tie to his collar. The harness slows him down some when we walk and it is training him to not act a fool' all the time..... It's a work in progress so in time I want to limit how much he is on a leash.

As for the dropping the kiddies off at the pool I have had him for a few months and he has owned sliced off a hot piece of bread away from the house twice. But I keep a bag tied to the leash if it happens. It's just the way things are lol....

JW

Many, if not all of Caesar Milans training tips are spot on. Being a former police K9 handler I was trained with some of his techniques. We used a regular choker, make sure for sizing its 2 - 3" larger than his neck measurement. There are only 2 ways to place a choker on your dog's neck, the right way & the wrong way. The wrong way may / will injury your dog's neck over a period of time. For 2 reasons, 1.) it crushes the larynx. 2.) the choke motion is in effective and the person handling the dog will keep pulling on the leash harder because the dog is non-responsive to the correction thus causing #1.
Proper placement is as follows:
A. pick a side you want to stay at your side when you walk him.
B. If you pick , dog on left side, make sure you do the following...the choker chain extending thru the hole should form the letter "P" so "1 & 2" does not occur. This will give the proper correction.
C. The correction is not meant to "choke" the dog but to startle him and teach him that his thought not action is incorrect.
D. Do not place the choker directly behind the ears as this is a very sensitive area and meant for advanced corrections for "hard nosed" dogs and you should have someone show you this technique
...What does thought vs action mean....
You want to correct the dogs state of mind before he does the bad act.
Watch your dogs breathing, his focus. When these change its time for a correction, not after he bolts towards a rabbit or squirrel but when his ears perk up or breathing stops or elevates, etc...and sees the rabbit its time for a correction. The correction is simultaneously stating "NO" with a deep tone that you do not use regularly and a quick jerk to the right side, almost paraellel to the ground if you are walking your dog on your left side... How hard of quick jerk depends upon if you stimulated a correction.
Feel free to PM me your cell # if you prefer to discuss.
I am not a professional canine trainer but just a former Police K9 handler with a little more training than the average person.

Coonhounds would be an issue. They get on a scent and you're right...they are gonezo.

It's also incredible how these animals attach to each other. When my German Shepard went down, my border collie went into a massive funk. For months. Then we rescued a little mutt and the border collie adopted her and they are now best pals. We have 2 maybe 3 real good knock down, drag out run through the house fights every night. They are good entertainment.

On the 10th I lost my little schnauzer and my little chihuahua pug mix is lost without her.

These dogs have feelings.
Our 2 pups go on a nightly rampage. Normally the Pitbull is involved. They go full throttle, chasing each other. Our older Coonhounds normally just stay out of the way and watch. The pups will often times just be laying on a bed together...barking at each other.

Many, if not all of Caesar Milans training tips are spot on. Being a former police K9 handler I was trained with some of his techniques. We used a regular choker, make sure for sizing its 2 - 3" larger than his neck measurement. There are only 2 ways to place a choker on your dog's neck, the right way & the wrong way. The wrong way may / will injury your dog's neck over a period of time. For 2 reasons, 1.) it crushes the larynx. 2.) the choke motion is in effective and the person handling the dog will keep pulling on the leash harder because the dog is non-responsive to the correction thus causing #1.
Proper placement is as follows:
A. pick a side you want to stay at your side when you walk him.
B. If you pick , dog on left side, make sure you do the following...the choker chain extending thru the hole should form the letter "P" so "1 & 2" does not occur. This will give the proper correction.
C. The correction is not meant to "choke" the dog but to startle him and teach him that his thought not action is incorrect.
D. Do not place the choker directly behind the ears as this is a very sensitive area and meant for advanced corrections for "hard nosed" dogs and you should have someone show you this technique
...What does thought vs action mean....
You want to correct the dogs state of mind before he does the bad act.
Watch your dogs breathing, his focus. When these change its time for a correction, not after he bolts towards a rabbit or squirrel but when his ears perk up or breathing stops or elevates, etc...and sees the rabbit its time for a correction. The correction is simultaneously stating "NO" with a deep tone that you do not use regularly and a quick jerk to the right side, almost paraellel to the ground if you are walking your dog on your left side... How hard of quick jerk depends upon if you stimulated a correction.
Feel free to PM me your cell # if you prefer to discuss.
I am not a professional canine trainer but just a former Police K9 handler with a little more training than the average person.
I will be in touch.
I am not looking for fully trained dogs. Have no desire for a pup that rolls over and plays dead type of thing. One thing that we need to resolve is the door. If Ernie or I stand up and head to the door they all go huddle around it. To the point I can't reach the door, that slight bend I need to do to get over them is what really kills my back.

Sparky had a big day today. He graduated from his training school with honors. :)

537A9229-1129-4068-A85E-3FCCD7E4F78D.jpeg

I just got my 2 year old GSD and 12 year old Dutch Shepherd back from a board and train program. The difference is night and day. My main objective is off leash trained so I can walk and take them on hikes, fishing, whatever. The training uses an e-collar which is amazingly effective. When I first heard about the collar, my brain immediately thought "shock collar". It's not like that at all, it's more like tapping your dog on the shoulder.
The wife and I are still learning how to properly maintain the training and advance both of our and the dogs skills. It was pricey, but it is money well spent in my opinion.

-
Back