Wanna ditch the 90° oil filter adapter.

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
The new motor I installed is set up to just have the oil filter go directly to the block.

I thought I could get away with the same filter I used with the 90° adapter (PH16 I think), but it just won't seem to fit.

So after a quick search, it's looking like I want a PH43. Does that sound right to you guys?

Will I absolutely have to drop the exhaust for every filter change? If so, I don't mind too much.

Any suggestions for other compatible filters for use without the 90° adapter?

(318 w/stock exhaust manifolds)

Okay.

So I went and grabbed a PH43. It's taller than the PH16 that I had?!

And even the shorter PH16 doesn't seem like it will clear the passenger side exhaust.

I thought the PH43 was supposed to be the "shorty" filter?

Okay.

So I went and grabbed a PH43. It's taller than the PH16 that I had?!

And even the shorter PH16 doesn't seem like it will clear the passenger side exhaust.

I thought the PH43 was supposed to be the "shorty" filter?

It is a lot shorter than a PH8A...

I got you covered herE, or at least I think I do. I don't know if you have headers or not, but i assume that you do.

go get a NAPA filter part number 1348. it is a shorty filter and fits on my 408 with Dougs headers. I have plenty of room to change it without dropping the header.

Napas filters are made by Wix so its a good one.

I got you covered herE, or at least I think I do. I don't know if you have headers or not, but i assume that you do.

go get a NAPA filter part number 1348. it is a shorty filter and fits on my 408 with Dougs headers. I have plenty of room to change it without dropping the header.

It's a 318 with stock manifolds. The manifold is a non-issue. It's the actual exhaust pipe that goes back to my passenger side muffler that's interfering.

Yep.

So why do I want to use the taller filter when not using the 90 adapter? I'm confused.

You wouldn't use a taller filter if you don't have the proper clearance between your manifolds and block. You may have to unbolt the manifold to change the filter if the clearance is that bad.

:thumleft: 3.404" Height

Alright, so the Napa filter is even shorter than the PH43. And you say it's a Wix filter, so I could probably get one at O'Rileys maybe? (O'Riley's carries Wix)

Edit: If I could find the cross-reference#... :/

Went out with the wix filter in hand and dropped the exhaust.

Threaded that tiny filter on and bolted the exhaust back up...

ELXsYSx.jpg

gG2u3mj.jpg

It sits against the exhaust pipe. :sad2:

So, anybody know if autozone or O'Reilly carries the gasket set for the 90 adapter?

That's not the smallest filter you can buy. Look at a NAPA Gold 1335 or a WIX 51335.
Those should fit but you'll have to change them more often.

Why not run a remote setup?

Mostly because I have the 90 adapter and don't feel like buying a remote kit.

bobscuda67 said:
That's not the smallest filter you can buy. Look at a NAPA Gold 1335 or a WIX 51335.
Those should fit but you'll have to change them more often.

How much more frequently? I might have to look into this.

This is my daily driver. I really need to get it back on the road. Don't really have time to re-work the exhaust.

20 min in any decent shop would solve that pipe being right there.
Better than having a leaking 90.

Go and get the Napa Gold 1335 and be done with it. I use one on my 340 and I don't drive my car much, only about 500 miles a year. It will need to be changed when the oil gets dirty, and that depends how many miles you drive it.

-
Back