Wannabe A-Body Owner

-

ZCR

Reaction score
Hey all,
So, I’m trying to join the A-body crowd and I found a ’69 Barracuda convertible with a 318 and 4-speed. The paint and body look good, the interior has new carpet and seat covers, and the top is new.
The problems are:
- The VIN is for a 225
- No fender tag or build sheet
- The dash and steering column are rough (needs paint/refinishing, no cracks though)
- Some gauges don’t work
- No radio
- Column still has the hole from the shifter
- The top is vinyl that is poorly fitted in the back corners
- Diff is leaking (8 ¾)
- Trans is leaking
- Clutch feels low
- Underside is completely covered with surface rust although I couldn’t see any serious rust through
- The front frame rails and floor pans look like they have been replaced sometime in the past and not painted.
He is asking $16.5K; I sent him an offer of $12K yesterday and have yet to hear back.
What do you guys think? I am looking for a ’67-’69 convertible or fastback 4-speed. Oh, and I'll have to pay about a Grand to ship it to SD.
I appreciate any help or feedback.

Zach.

Yep. But was my offer off-base, high or low?

For me, it wouldn't even get to the point of asking that question. Any car with front rail replacement, especially a convertible, should be professionally evaluated before any offer is made.

That is a MAJOR structural repair. Incorrectly done or improperly welded and the car could literally break in half at speed.

Im a professional. I do this kind of repair for a living. Please take what I just said seriously.

$16.5 will buy alot of car, I'd keep looking for sure
By the sounds of it, I wouldn't even come close to paying $12G's

Thanks for the advice; maybe I should have come here first. I do use Woodside Credit and they send someone to thoroughly check the vehicle prior to any deal is finalized. Here is where it is listed.
http://www.ecoastcc.com/viewcar.cfm?carid=1478

What you have there is lipstick on a pig. Quickie red paint job (door strikers and other parts weren't masked/removed), some new interior parts and other do-dads to make it look good.

Like I said in post #2 "Keep looking."

Buying that car will only lead to frustration and a resentment of the hobby.

If you are going to over pay, at least over pay for a good car.

The thing is, you just cant find these things. I've searched Auto Trader Classics, Classic Cars.com, craigslist, EBay.....

Yeah, I noticed that too. But the fenders are still '69. Could be that the previous owner just liked the '67-8's nose better; I do. But that's another reason to have a thorough insp done.

No, it has a 67 front because it was crashed so hard that it required replacement sheet metal to go along with the frame rails, inner fenders and core support.

I know where there's a SUPER nice and well-done red convertible '69 (I've seen it myself several times, relative's car), hardly needs anything, but it's an auto. I know you said you're looking for a 4-speed specifically, but if you change your mind on that one point, let me know. It's not a lipstick-on-a-pig car.

I know of a 1968, 340 Formula S, Fastback, 4 Speed that the owner would be willing to sell.

It's a matching number, low milage car that is very solid. Admittedly it's priced at the high end for it's condition ($20k) but not outlandishly overpriced like that convertible is.

What you have there is lipstick on a pig. Quickie red paint job (door strikers and other parts weren't masked/removed),

That's what I saw, look at the bottom of the doors from the inside shot, steering wheel is rusty, it looks like rust trying to bleed through in the trunk, interior pieces not redyed to improve the look.

If this car is worth 16K, then I'm sprayin' some paint on mine and Imma gonna ask 18K.

I know where there's a SUPER nice and well-done red convertible '69 (I've seen it myself several times, relative's car), hardly needs anything, but it's an auto. I know you said you're looking for a 4-speed specifically, but if you change your mind on that one point, let me know. It's not a lipstick-on-a-pig car.

Ok, I'm interested. My wife likes autos better anyway and she'll be even more on board if she can drive it too. Let me know if he or she is serious about selling.

I do thank everyone for the quick response on this.

The Formula S is tempting too!

Ok, I'm interested. My wife likes autos better anyway and she'll be even more on board if she can drive it too. Let me know if he or she is serious about selling.

OK, I sent him a link to this thread. He's my cousin, a member here, and I can tell you it's a really nice car, very solid and clean. He's an honest guy, he'll shoot you straight about it.

Good luck in your search!

-
Back