Want to install headers but which one

-

DUSTERDOWNS

Reaction score
I have seen lots of comments about the pros and cons of different headers and want some opinions. I have a 1970 A body Duster 340 with a 4 speed power steering and want headers that require no cutting bending. Something an old man can install in his back yard then drive to the muffler shop to finish from headers back. what do you have and what would you stay away from. Thanks guys and let's try not to argue over this one, I want your opinion all of them. Forgot to mention the motor already has stock HP manifolds on it now.

I thought my Hedman 1 5/8 went in and cleared pretty well with a floor shifter, but they say you have to mod the linkage for automatics. (I have no info for 4 speed)

The steering rod goes through the header down tubes on the drivers side, and when they are installed they are different heights from the ground at the collectors.

Don't need a oil filter adapter to run them, and they just barely clear the power steering head. (didn't have to dent them anywhere though) and they run a couple hundred for the uncoated, and almost twice that for coated.

Hope this helps just for some info on Hedmans.

TTI and Douglas are the two main ones I here for not dents, cuts, or dings. Most people I've heard from said it was a nice and easy swap. Some people have complained about fitment and the usual response is, "Make sure your engine is sitting in the proper location." I think in some cases you may have to modify your Z-bar.

Dougs and tti fit best of the full length style, BUT, require modifying of the z bar.

Most of the hang low headers, hooker, flowtech, summit, hedman, fit and don't require any z bar mods.

Pick if you want to modify the z bar or potentially bash the snot out of three tubes on drivers side that hang below the centerlink.

Hedman's are not that bad of a brand, better than flow tech or summit.
Had them on my 68 340 barracuda, Clearance was amazin no dents ever !!!But they weren't the cheap hedman's tho they were long tube 1 5/8 race headers!! like $800 bucks new.

Dougs and tti fit best of the full length style, BUT, require modifying of the z bar.

Most of the hang low headers, hooker, flowtech, summit, hedman, fit and don't require any z bar mods.

Pick if you want to modify the z bar or potentially bash the snot out of three tubes on drivers side that hang below the centerlink.

I have seen lots of comments about the pros and cons of different headers and want some opinions. I have a 1970 A body Duster 340 with a 4 speed power steering and want headers that require no cutting bending. Something an old man can install in his back yard then drive to the muffler shop to finish from headers back. what do you have and what would you stay away from. Thanks guys and let's try not to argue over this one, I want your opinion all of them. Forgot to mention the motor already has stock HP manifolds on it now.

I guess it depends on your budget. If you have deep pockets, I would go with Dougs or TTI.

I put the cheap Summit headers on my 74 Sport and I have had zero issues with scraping, banging of any kind. I did have to dent one tube right by the steering coupler for it to clear. Other than that, no problems.

Putting them on, well, all I can say is enjoy. The passenger side will pretty much fall into place. The driver side, not so much, it will take some finagling and you might discover a new word or two but it's not impossible to do.

One thing to think about is whether you want them coated or not. I wish I had coated ones.

Another thing to consider, is a mini starter. I had to replace my OEM starter and it was a bit of a chore to get it out with the headers in place, it can be done but it ain't easy.

And lastly, BUY GOOD GASKETS, and I also bought the locking header bolts from Summit, once they're in and locked they don't vibrate loose.

thanks for all the feed back. Doesn't sound like a winter backyard job for a 64 year old man. Basically i was going after the sound because the car runs good enough for me to enjoy so I will hold off til warm weather. Thanks again guys.

I have had 2 or 3 sets of the cheaper headers on my 69 Barracuda, went to TTIs a year or two ago and would never go back! (cheap ones had to be dented to clear, could not get starter out, hit on the ground)

360, PS, auto

I've run the cheap Summit headers on several cars. Never had a problem. As long as your car ain't ghetto low and you don't drive like a dumbass over speed breakers you'll be fine in the ground clearance area. The only "bending" I ever had to do on them was to open the two tubes up just a little where the torsion bars run through them so they would not rattle against the torsion bars. Keep the car at stock ride height with at least the stock eight tire in the front and you will be fine.

Flowtech are an absolute nightmare with power steering, the steering coupler hits the #7 tube really bad.
These pics are before i really bent it in and it still hits. The tube is half dented in or more now.
This is a '69 Valiant 318......

Attachments

• 20110915_109.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 20110915_110.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 20110915_108.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 348
-
Back