Want to move a car to Australia?

-
Yes, but not done intentionally, by then they were just clearing the inventory.

Maybe, I guess this one of the things that will just run and run. But the 340 was brought over for a race program, so clearly the intention was never to dump it in a 770. They clearly knew it was a more race orientated engine that went in R/T's etc in the US. Could have easily made a 340 R/T as the US had a range of engines in the R/T line up. Since R/T is a US Mopar designation there is no good reason not to have had a 340 R/T, unless of course you did not want to show up the 265. :)

Maybe, I guess this one of the things that will just run and run. But the 340 was brought over for a race program, so clearly the intention was never to dump it in a 770. They clearly knew it was a more race orientated engine that went in R/T's etc in the US. Could have easily made a 340 R/T as the US had a range of engines in the R/T line up. Since R/T is a US Mopar designation there is no good reason not to have had a 340 R/T, unless of course you did not want to show up the 265. :)
Regrettably the v8 program was abandoned prior to the Chargers release, the 265 was still a great package and while it didn’t win Bathurst it had a number of victories here in Aus and in particular, NZ. The decision to abandon a V8 race program however was never about not wanting to show up the 265, it really was all about local content - remembering that the original E38 265 race package itself only ran a 3 speed manual gearbox because that was all that was available (locally) to Chrysler Australia at the time, it’s just that with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight we all can’t help but wonder what a great race package a 340 engined Charger might have been!

Last edited:
I was on an helo carrier in San Diego, got out the end of '89. Unfortunately got on a ship going into dry dock and never made it more than 50 miles off the coast before I got out. Wonder if we ever crossed paths (assuming you were at the 32nd Street Naval Station as well).
Perhaps! We shipped out on the LHA-1 Tarawa. Would have been around early July '89 as we crossed the date line early AM on my birthday, July 18! I hit the rack July 17 and when we woke up it was July 19, The Captain made the IDL crossing announcement over the comm and called me out by name " Marine L/Cpl. Wander of Weapons Co, 1/9...the Navy did what the Marines couldn't do, we just took your birthday away from you..." That was a running joke when someone got busted, "what are they gonna do, take my birthday from me?" I guess! Never made it south of the equator either. Still a Wog....

Perhaps! We shipped out on the LHA-1 Tarawa. Would have been around early July '89 as we crossed the date line early AM on my birthday, July 18! I hit the rack July 17 and when we woke up it was July 19, The Captain made the IDL crossing announcement over the comm and called me out by name " Marine L/Cpl. Wander of Weapons Co, 1/9...the Navy did what the Marines couldn't do, we just took your birthday away from you..." That was a running joke when someone got busted, "what are they gonna do, take my birthday from me?" I guess! Never made it south of the equator either. Still a Wog....

I was on the LPH-3 Okinawa. Couldn't tell you what we were doing middle of July, probably back from dry dock in Portland by then? Could have been when we painted the dock side of the ship for change of command, pretty sure I painted at least half the thing myself on a man lift. Never understood that, just spent 10 month in dry dock and even replaced some of the hull and it needed to be painted again?

We never even had Marines onboard while I was attached to the ship, have to say it made lunches pretty nice when we were underway :D. Lunch was scheduled as if we had a full compliment of Marines, so it was easy to get through the line, eat and still have an hour to nap (or whatever) before you had to be back to work.

Wow, that had to line up perfect to cross the date line on your birthday. Cool story!

Still a Polliwog myself. :(

-
Back