want to put a '70 bumper on my '71. How hard?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

Edit: 71 Dart, rear bumper swap. Sorry. Duh.

Anyone ever done this swap? I think the 70 bumper looks better, but am only interested in doing it if its a pretty straightforward deal.

Thanks for any help

Steve

O if it is the rear for a Dart then the tail lights are different but the bumper is the same and will swap.

Sorry guys, its a dart, and its the rear bumper That would have been good info to provide.

Awesome, if I don't need to get brackets and all that.

Is the wiring pretty straightforward?

Thanks

Steve

Sorry guys, its a dart, and its the rear bumper That would have been good info to provide.

Thanks

Steve

i would think it is plug and play but not 100% sure. worst ya have to do is change the plug.

Thanks

Steve

71 has 4 lights where the 70 only has two. So if the harness plugs in to the lights the same way you should be good. Use the ones you need and cut or tape up the ones you don't. If for some reason they plug in different you will need a 70 rear harness.

Thats about all you need to deal with as the bolts and bumper mounts are the same.

Yup, it's a direct swap. The "four" lights in the '71-'73 Dart rear bumper are really a single housing behind the bumper, with two sockets and two lenses. The '70 Dart housing also has two sockets (brake/tail/turn and reverse); all the wires are the same.

And from what I understand you can get repo tail light lense for the 70 but not the 71. SO makes the swap more wanted.

Has anyone tried the AMD reproduction bumpers? They're official Mopar resto parts for whatever that's worth. About half the price of rechromed original.

Dan, can you share some of the sources? I have been searching with no luck.

Last '71-'73 Dart lenses I needed, I got from David Azzopardi at www.tailights.com , see writeup here and here. He sometimes takes awhile to reply to emails, so if you need your parts tomorrow he's not the guy, but the quality of his work is A-number-1 and worth the wait. I also see these lenses go by fairly frequently with this eBay search.

I am fairly sure that clown whose disreputable name starts with an "L" has them, but on principle I do not give money to disreputable clowns who act as parasites on our community. For more detail, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

-
Back