Want to stay stock with 13" tires, but can't get them

-
Many thanks to everyone so far!
I did check tires-easy, same issue is that they had a big selection in that size, but every one was a trailer tire.
The one at discount that Dana67Dart posted was a trailer tire, but the one at Summit might do it! I'll look into that one a bit closer as that would save me from having to switch.

I'll look into that also and check to make sure that the additional width will clear when I turn. It's tight in those wheel wells.
Thanks a ton for the help! :thankyou:
Why wouldn't it? They clear on mine perfect and mine has less wheel well room than yours.

Or you could just go 15's. :poke: :poke:

mopp_1004_13_o+1967_plymouth_valiant+comparison_2.jpg

More and more the only thing available, really. Almost. Unless you wanna run those butt FUGLY rally wheels. lol
:rofl: Not too many choices for small bolt though. It depends whether you want a factory look or not.

002.JPG

2.20.22c.jpg

060.jpg

I could see runnin rallys.....with full wheel covers. lol

And why are we even discussing 185 80 13s? Those are the WRONG size for your car anyway. The original size was 650/13, which equates to a 165 80 13. The 185 70 13 is only .2 of an inch shorter (same size in some brands) but gives you a wider footprint AND is available everywhere. You're just making things hard on yourself lookin for the WRONG THING!
Basically because that's what is on it now. However you could be correct, as I haven't looked at the manual.

According what I did find online and what I believe that I thought I saw with the car, the original size was 7.00 X 13. That equates to 185 80R13. But you have a point and I will double check the owners manual (yes I still have it) and see what it says. I just don't want to get into the issue where the tires rub the wheel wells. I'll see what it recommends and post here.

Where did you come across the info of 650/13 being the original size? This is a Valiant signet (not a 100 or 200) if that makes a difference. It's entirely possible that size was put on the car because of availability and it was a substitute that fit. It was years ago since the tires were purchased, which is why they need to be replaced. If the original size was 650/13, going with the wider tire would be easier.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the page from the manual. It a 273 with drum brakes and A/C, so that's why I was looking for the tire size I was. There is lots to take in, and it might be time to get new wheels with the tires and just put 14s on it.

Tire Size from Manual.jpg

Last edited:
700 13 is 185 75 13. Put whatever you want on it. I don't understand all the futz. Just pick one that's the right diameter and fly with it.

Vintage Tire Size Conversion Chart
Thanks for the chart.

It was difficult to find the stock size and I guess I was wondering if anyone on here was trying to stay stock like I was, and had some experience with this.

I did find some tires for it though and should be good to go!

I too am staying with the 13" wheels on my 1964 Dart V8. It is very frustrating to find the right size tires for this car but after many days of searching and finding dead ends I finally found the tires that are as correct as you can find and aren't trailer tires.

The challenge is not what is an equivalent tire size from a conversion chart but rather what tires are still made and sold right now! That is the challenge.

There were two sizes originally for these early A bodies:
6.50-13 (23.4" dia.) for 6 cylinder cars
7.00-13 (24.7" dia.) for V8 cars

The 3 sizes you can still find are:
185/70-13 (23.2" dia.) Closest to 6.50-13
175/80-13 (24" dia.) In-between 6.50 and 7.00-13
185/80-13 (24.7" dia.) Same as 7.00-13

My choice was between 175/80 and 185/80 for my v8 car (and these sizes are white walls!).
175/80-13 is $300/set
185/80-13 is $790/set

I went with the 175/80-13 at $300 since the size splits the difference between 6.50-13 and 7.00-13 (sort of 6.75-13).
I just couldn't justify $790/set for only a little size difference.

tire size choice 2.JPG

Tire size choice.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back