[SOLD] WANTED: 10" drums, 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern, A body.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Contact seller
I am going to upgrade to big bolt pattern axles on the rear, so I need to replace my 10" 5x4 bolt pattern drums with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.
Does anyone have any they would like to part with, or know of any companies that make or sell them? I need the standard A body width drum, whatever it is, 2" or something..

All I have is a set of old drums that came off a 68 B-body...they have 10x2.5 inch drums, 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern...

MoparGod, I really don't know if there is such a thing, but what does everyone else use when upgrading to 5 x 4.5 axles, with 10" backing plates?

All I have is a set of old drums that came off a 68 B-body...they have 10x2.5 inch drums, 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern...

How much are you looking to get? Does anyone know if these will work?

oh sorry thought you meant you wanted to use big bolt drums on the front to match the rear
in that case you need to use the correct backing plates to match the wider 5X4.5 bolt circle drums
or re drill your drums and I think you need to enlarge the centers

You will need to change the backing plates to use the 10X2 1/2" drums. The 10X2" brakes only came in small bolt pattern. The cheapest way to fix this is to have your drums redrilled for the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern. FWIW, most any Mopar from '73 on will have the parts you need to swap over to the 10X2 1/2" brakes. Just find one with 10 inch brakes and grab them.

You will need to change the backing plates to use the 10X2 1/2" drums. The 10X2" brakes only came in small bolt pattern. The cheapest way to fix this is to have your drums redrilled for the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern. FWIW, most any Mopar from '73 on will have the parts you need to swap over to the 10X2 1/2" brakes. Just find one with 10 inch brakes and grab them.

Can I ask why my 10" backing plates on my 8 3/4 will not work?

Also, say I find an 8 1/4 with 10" backing plates, will they bolt on to my 8 3/4 axle tubes? Then that way I can use the wider brakes?

Also, say I find an 8 1/4 with 10" backing plates, will they bolt on to my 8 3/4 axle tubes? Then that way I can use the wider brakes?

A standard A-body 8 3/4 rear axle had the small 10x1 3/4 brakes. If you want to use the bigger brakes (10x2 1/2) you have to swap everything including the backing plates. From my understanding, you need the bigger backing plates with the bigger brakes because they have the 2 1/2 inch offset built into them...

The current backing plates are for the 1-3/4" A body offset so the 2-1/2" drums will not fit.
About any factory large bolt pattern brakes should bolt up to your axle tubes just try to get the ones with 5 stud holes or just drill the 5th one.

Question...you are buying new large bolt pattern axles, yes?

Make sure you tell the place your buying them from knows your going to use them on an A body with 2-1/2" brakes.

I have a few complete 10"x2-1/2" rear brake sets, drums to backing plates and everything inbetween.

I am going to upgrade to big bolt pattern axles on the rear, so I need to replace my 10" 5x4 bolt pattern drums with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern.
Does anyone have any they would like to part with, or know of any companies that make or sell them? I need the standard A body width drum, whatever it is, 2" or something..

I just purchased a 66 Dart auto. It had 273 four barrel on the fender. Thought it would be like the one I had when I was a kid...WRONG! My first 66 Dart had a 273 four barrel 8 3/4 rear end and a 833 four speed. This Dart I just got has a 904 tranny and a 7 1/4 rear end...BUT not for long!

Wilwood for disc brakes all the way around. Need a OEM Mopar adapter for the master cylinder, too. Will take you from four bolt to two bolt master cylinder. This will give you 5X4 1/2 inch pattern and you will have wheel choice. About $1700 for all you need.

I bought an 8 3/4 rear end and will need to get a center section for it cause it ain't possi, damn. Cost $950 delivered. Moser has all the Mopar stuff for the rear end. Center section is Moser and will $1035, not a bad price.

My first Dart had a Clayton Wright re-built 273 motor that never got to the track because I had to have money for college. With my first motor I won at least 90% of my races on the street and 1/4 mile and about 98% in the 1/8 mile. I would get beat in the last 75 yards by the big inch cars in the 1/4. This is not BS the 273 is a great motor! Read about the d Dart that got banned from the track! Yea! Because it beat the 283 fuel injected Vets!

I am 61 years young and I have the money, time and the help from friends to build my dream (speed demon) car. Both of my boys were going to assist with the project but for some reason God decided that he needed warriors at His Gates to Heaven. Now, I am building this car for them and the great memories of them. No offense to Clayton B. Wright (Butch) to his friends, but I am naming this car BRO-MOTION! 273, B&M-727, Moser 8 3/4,4:89 and I don't know torque converter size yet, but I'll figure it out and then let ya-all know what it is.

LONG LIVE THE DAYS PRIOR TO EPA C-R-A-P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yea, I ran M&H ripple wall cheater slicks on the street with 12 pounds of air. Hard to beat. Back then cheater slicks were legal...don't know about now.

Sincerely,
Art (The Dart) Clark III
PS Butch if you read this I would really like to hear from you. I know we had a slight problem 40 years ago, but I thought of you like a big brother for two years
when I was helping you with the 70 Cuda. I was young-dumb. God Bless! Hope Rusty is doing well. I became a special education teacher 31 years. Now, I am Animal Control for the Sheriff.

just drill the drum you have for the 4.5 bolt patt and be done.... my front drum brakes have been drill from 4 to 4.5 and the drums was drill the same...easy fix.. :D mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back