Wanted A=body am/fm radio

-

beepahh

Dart runner
Reaction score
Hello all looking for an A-body am/fm radio in working condition let me know please.

For what? Early A...prolly out of luck there. '67? '68-'70 thumbroller? '71+ ? Your going to need to give specifics. I've got a '69 thumbroller, but I haven't decided whether to get rid of it...if I do I'll prolly trade for a '71 AM/FM.

I've been looking for one also.They are very expensive.I seen one on ebag go for over 600.00! I have seen some guys on this great website sell them more reasonable.That 600.00 one was out of the ordinary.Mostly they go for arond 150.00to 300.00. If you can get one for 100.to 150.00 you're doing good.I think the one that sold here was 150.00.

i have a working am/fm cassete outta my 75. its 'sparkomatic' so not original but if it would work for you its for sale

They are also different between Dodge and Plymouth.

What's the diff between dodge and plymouth?

Yeah, be prepared to part with some green for that piece. I ended up having my AM gutted and an AM/FM 4 channel stereo board installed. This was after buying a non-working AM/FM thumbwheel radio and having a classic radio tech tell me it wasn`t worth investing into it.

What's the diff between dodge and plymouth?
The face of the Dodge says DART radio, and the Plymouth says Chrysler something...Never owned a Plymouth, so I don't know for sure, but I had a guy at the local shop offering me big money for my Dodge thumbroller, and when I told him what the face said, he said he couldn't use it. I was only going to trade it for one that is correct for my Demon anyway.

A 71-up AM/FM will fit a 65/66 A Body as I've got one I installed in my 65GT with no mods to the dash or faceplate.
That is a really good tip to know. Still some don't want a '71 in a '66.

FYI a 65 Chrysler AM/FM is identical as far as faceplate & dials to 65 Plymouth A-body. The case is deeper so may be a no-go for AC cars. A special bracket must be fabbed for a rear support. These aren't common either but another solution. 65 A-body AM/FMs are extremely rare.

there are "knock offs" for chevy, and ford but mopar???? i don't think so...you can get what you want done though through other companies useing original radios....i did a thread here that might help you some. look in the "tech" section for "am/fm stereo conversion"

I just checked out this site and looks like he does excellant work, but does anybody know of anyone that sells classic style radios with modern guts inside, like a CD player, AM & FM radio?

Check out this guy .........Mike Frenchek at Classic Auto Radio. 1-800-880-1409. He took my AM thumbwheel radio, gutted it and installed a 4 x 45 watt amp with AM/FM tuner and auxillary inputs so you can plug in a CD or MP3 player.

-
Back