Status
Not open for further replies.

billkrz

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hi Guys,
This is a needle in a haystack but I'm trying to locate my GTS's original 340 engine block. It was last seen in Los Angeles. VIN number is P8B142688.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Guys,
This is a needle in a haystack but I'm trying to locate my GTS's original 340 engine block. It was last seen in Los Angeles. VIN number is P8B142688.
Thanks,
Bill

I don't think the vin was stamped on the pass. side of the blocks until 1969?

My 68 Formula S 383 had a build date of Feb 21, 1968 and it does have the vin stamped. Some of the earlier 68 cars did not, I just don't know at what point in the production year they started, or how to verify. Good luck in your haystack, Joe.

It's not likely that block got stamped and if it did it would be on the bellhousing area. That's a fairly early build, but my GTS was earlier. I've never checked my transmission for the stamping and my original 340 has been gone since before I got the car in 1983.

Hello all. You folks are right as usual. My cars build date was September 22, 1967 so it is an early 1968 model.
So, from what most of you are saying, there isn't a VIN stamp on my original block, correct?
If that is the case, then I guess there is no way I can find my original block?
Bill

I understand someone wanting to build a correct car, but, at a car show like most of us attend there probablt wont be 2 people come through that could tell you your motor wasn't the correct one for your car. Good luck with it.

If there was no Vin, then could anybody tell that wasn't your original block?
If not, all you need is any block, with no Vin.

Hello all. You folks are right as usual. My cars build date was September 22, 1967 so it is an early 1968 model.
So, from what most of you are saying, there isn't a VIN stamp on my original block, correct?
If that is the case, then I guess there is no way I can find my original block?
Bill

Just find a 340 block with a date code before your cars build date. Oh... And not the day before lol. Im talking a month or three.

That is the best you can do.

My 340 is an August `67 build and although the VIN is not stamped on the block pad it does appear on the top left rear lip of the block and the trans has a corresponding number (VIN) adjacent to it on the bellhousing.

Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_3813.jpg

Well, that menas there must be a 340 out there for mine (late Aug 67 build date), but I really don't care too much. I've had the car since 1983 and don't ever plan on selling. One of my sons will get the GTS and the other will get the Barracuda (not sure which way it will go yet, hopefully we've got over twenty years to make that decision).

Where is this stamp pad where the vin is stamped located on the block?
Thanks,
Bill

Where would I find the date code on the block?
Thanks,
Bill

The casting date will be cast into the side. The engine build date will be stamped below the left head on the front of the block.

The casting date will be cast into the side. The engine build date will be stamped below the left head on the front of the block.

Yup, I have a 67, the casting date is 1.9.67 and the assembly date is 5/23.
My car was shipped on 5/26/67.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back