***WANTED: Pair of 3-step (old) AFB Carter 16-405 metering rods***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Wanted: Pair of 3-step (old) Carter AFB #16-405 metering rods for my '67 273 AFB to put back to stock.

Attachments

• Carter 3-step Rod.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 208
3 step rods were used with the AVS with tall jets and domed rod covers and the AFB used a 2 step rod short jet and a flat cover. Just be sure use the right groups. If you can afford it buy the Edelbrock Strip Kit and use the flat top covers.

3 step rods were used with the AVS with tall jets and domed rod covers and the AFB used a 2 step rod short jet and a flat cover. Just be sure use the right groups. If you can afford it buy the Edelbrock Strip Kit and use the flat top covers.

Right on the AVS, but the older AFB's used the 3-step rods, tall jets, and domed covers as well. My '67 4295S AFB has the tall stuff, and incorrect size rods, so I'm just trying to get back to stock calibration.

$T2eC16ZHJHwE9n8ii1i(BRkVd!UgyQ~~60_57.JPG

Yes high jets and 3-step rods are listed in factory part and repair manuals for AFB back as far as 66 (haven't looked back earlier).

Yes high jets and 3-step rods are listed in factory part and repair manuals for AFB back as far as 66 (haven't looked back earlier).

I have a few old factory AFB's from the early 60's and they also use the 3 stepjets/long rods/domed covers. I have a #4200 AFB ('62-'64 383/413) and it has tall stuff!

Still looking....A pic of old (tall) versus new (short) style jets, rods and domed (old) and flat (new) style covers.......

Attachments

• CarterAFBOldVs.New3Step-2Step.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 235
damn it! I was up at wildcat today. I should have asked Ed about them. And I was even looking at some AFB's he had sitting there. I'll get back up in the next week or so D if you have no luck. I think he said he had a few 273 AFB's there. I had to leave so I could get home before the kids got off school.

Are the AFB and AVS rods the same? I think I remember the AVS were longer but don't remember for sure.

Are the AFB and AVS rods the same? I think I remember the AVS were longer but don't remember for sure.

Rocky...I'm not sure. Maybe someone more knowledgable about AVS's will chime in.

I'll get back up in the next week or so D if you have no luck. I think he said he had a few 273 AFB's there.

I haven't heard back from my contact on Moparts, as of today. If you do go to Wildcat, I'd appreciate you asking if they have the correct rods, or a parts carb that they'd sell.

Thanks!

-
Back