Not open for further replies.

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Contact seller
I am converting over to later model discs and noticed that one of my upper ball joints isn't screwed down all the way, there is still about an 1/8 inch gap before it bottoms out. I bought the a arms from Master Power with the ball joints already installed. I am hoping that I can just tighten it up and that the installer didn't strip the threads.

Does anyone know if the local auto parts places that loan tools carry anything for our older cars? Does anyone in the mid west have a socket I could borrow? I'll pay shipping both ways and throw in a little change for your trouble.

I have a socket but I think there are two different sizes. Mine has the 1 3/4 inch square size which fits my 69 Dart.

Yeah, I think you're right. I checked on-line, and found two different sizes. Not sure what size I need, but I would think it would be the larger of the two.

PM sent Terry, thanks!

Demon, I don't have the car here to go measure, it's 20 miles away! There are two sizes listed on "Evilbay". Aren't the 73-76 A body ball joints the larger of the two?!?

Terry's socket showed up today and it's a 1 59/64" socket. Snap on, with a 1/2 to 3/4" adapter. Nice.

Can someone please confirm that this is the size that I need for the 73-76 A body disc brake ball joints?!?

Terry's socket showed up today and it's a 1 59/64" socket. Snap on, with a 1/2 to 3/4" adapter. Nice.

Can someone please confirm that this is the size that I need for the 73-76 A body disc brake ball joints?!?

Yes, that's it and very nice of Terry to loan it to you. 8)

I just fixed my earlier post. Should have done that when I posted the pics....sorry for the confusion.

Used the socket and it worked like a charm. At first the ball joint wouldn't tighten down and I started freaking. But then I let the jack down and that put some pressure on the upper ball joint and it pulled right down!! Thank God my buddy was there to help me pull my head out of my ***!!

Thanks again to Terry!!

But then I let the jack down and that put some pressure on the upper ball joint and it pulled right down!
So the pressure of weight on the suspension is all that's holding your ball joint in?

No, I put a 13/16 wrench on the bottom nut, and tightened down the ball joint with Terry's socket until it bottom against the control arm.

If it doesn't pull down tight into the control arm all by itself you've got a problem. Depending on how bad it is it may not show up right away, but drive it like that long enough and I do believe it will be coming apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back