WARNING! Windshield Gasket SHORTAGES!!!!!!!

-
Is it a bad idea to clean and reuse the old gaskets? I like the cost savings even if I have to use a little elbow grease but will it still seal? I need to find a new front and rear soon or go the re-use route.

It's a great idea, especially now with the shortage.
2 words;
MINERAL SPIRITS (see pics)

It's a real job and a real mess, but worth it now.
I even have a pre-cleaned old 4 door winshield gasket hanging in the garage for the next time!!

The gasket after drenching with wet rag and rubbing it forever will resemble wrinklie bacon. mmmmmmmbaconmmmmm
After 24 hour dry time after cleaning it will go back to it's normal shape.

So everyone here at FABO,
PLEASE stop cutting your old gaskets for a while, K?:glasses2:
Better yet, pay the $100.00 bucks for a remove and replace labor only at your local glass shop. They will show up, tell them to save the gasket for reuse. They remove and leave. You clean and prep glass, gasket and car body work. Then call them back for install, all at your garage. They use their own sealer ($15.00 a tube and make sure they use enough all the way around!) They are responsible for breakage during removal and install and better yet they are responsible if it leaks after install. It's the best $100 (per glass) you'll ever spend!
Invest in rubber gloves B4 job!!:glasses2:

I also used the mineral spirits to remove the glue on the roof under the old vinyl too!

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 482
  • 14.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 481
  • 16.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 477
  • 17.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 461
Steele rubber and I are gonna have some words today.. I ordered the back window rubber for my Dart.. Its doesnt fit!! I ordered one for a 67-76 Dart, 2 door hardtop, with a vinyl top (all my friends insisted there was no differance.. and every other site I went to (legendary, year one, etc.. had only one listing for a rear window rubber for a Dart.. not two like Steele) well.. I finally got to put the glass in last night.. the gap where the rubber fits around the pinch weld in the window channel is so wide, I could fit a pinch weld 10 times thicker!! once the glass was in, i could move the window in and out! I have seen glass go in before.. this isnt my first rodeo... the glass is supposed to be tight.. I actually (with almost no real pressure) pushed the rear windshield right back out with one hand.. I checked the gap on the front windshield rubber (which I didnt get from Steele) and the gap is WAY tighter.. something isnt right.. all I know is they better make it right..

Did you get this straighten out?

I talked to the boss today and there is a difference in moldings. Matter a fact I believe he indicated that there was three different moldings for your car. He has some super old source catalogs that clears the water up on things like this.

Did you get this straighten out?

I talked to the boss today and there is a difference in moldings. Matter a fact I believe he indicated that there was three different moldings for your car. He has some super old source catalogs that clears the water up on things like this.

Nope. Nothing cleared up. In fact they were assholes. And even if the difference is in the moldings that wasnt the issue. Where the rubber fits the pinch weld was the issue. All cars that I have seen have basically the same thickness of pinch welds. The gap in the rubber was at LEAST 3/8 of an inch too wide. With the glass in I could move it in and out. That far. And then with one hand and only slight pressure I could pop the glass out. It doesn't fit. Plain as that. Further... Before the shortage all the other places only offer 1 back window rubber for a Dart. All I know is I'm pissed and I need a rubber

Nope. Nothing cleared up. In fact they were assholes. And even if the difference is in the moldings that wasnt the issue. Where the rubber fits the pinch weld was the issue. All cars that I have seen have basically the same thickness of pinch welds. The gap in the rubber was at LEAST 3/8 of an inch too wide. With the glass in I could move it in and out. That far. And then with one hand and only slight pressure I could pop the glass out. It doesn't fit. Plain as that. Further... Before the shortage all the other places only offer 1 back window rubber for a Dart. All I know is I'm pissed and I need a rubber

I'm sorry..... I meant GASKETS! :sad3:

Can you PM me the part number of the gasket?

I will run it buy the boss. I told him today that you could push the glass out by hand. Thats when he went and grabbed the catalog.

Did the rubber fit the glass snug?

I'm at the garage now, the part #'s are at home. I'll pm ya later dude

It's a great idea, especially now with the shortage.
2 words;
MINERAL SPIRITS (see pics)

It's a real job and a real mess, but worth it now.
I even have a pre-cleaned old 4 door winshield gasket hanging in the garage for the next time!!

The gasket after drenching with wet rag and rubbing it forever will resemble wrinklie bacon. mmmmmmmbaconmmmmm
After 24 hour dry time after cleaning it will go back to it's normal shape.

So everyone here at FABO,
PLEASE stop cutting your old gaskets for a while, K?:glasses2:
Better yet, pay the $100.00 bucks for a remove and replace labor only at your local glass shop. They will show up, tell them to save the gasket for reuse. They remove and leave. You clean and prep glass, gasket and car body work. Then call them back for install, all at your garage. They use their own sealer ($15.00 a tube and make sure they use enough all the way around!) They are responsible for breakage during removal and install and better yet they are responsible if it leaks after install. It's the best $100 (per glass) you'll ever spend!
Invest in rubber gloves B4 job!!:glasses2:

I also used the mineral spirits to remove the glue on the roof under the old vinyl too!

Looks like my front windshield gasket may not be reusable becouse one corner is seperated. The rear one needs minimal cleaning. Would gasoline be too harsh to use? I have 5 gallons of old unusable gas that came out of my Dart's tank. Could probablly drop the whole gasket into the 5 gallon bucket that its in and soak it for awhile.

I just got my shipment notice from classicindustries that my backordered windshield gasket has just shipped. I'll let you know the brand and quality when it shows up.

Dantes has some in stock now, of course the price went up by about $40. I think we were all duped here, they created a supposed "shortage", then everybody bought all the old ones that were in stock and now they are back with a large price increase.

I'm sure it is like what BFGoodrich is telling me about their T/A tires... with today's economy, they are manufacturing in bulk orders and only enough not to have a large inventory laying around.

Weldedrail

I don't think I would use gasoline. Some tiypes of rubber do not get along well with it, you will probably ruin it, use mineral spirits. I also hope you don't smoke around it. Gas is not a cleaner, it is a combustable, with a fairly low flash point. The slightest spark could set it off.

barracudadave67

I 2was called the other day by Laysons and they have front windshield gaskets for the 68 fish now. No rears yet so I told them to hold off. Besides, who wants to be the ginnea pig on how they fit when the car currently drives with what it has?

Weldedrail

I don't think I would use gasoline. Some tiypes of rubber do not get along well with it, you will probably ruin it, use mineral spirits. I also hope you don't smoke around it. Gas is not a cleaner, it is a combustable, with a fairly low flash point. The slightest spark could set it off.

barracudadave67

I don't smoke and If I were to use gas to clean something I would do it in a very open area. Just a shot in the dark on using something that was otherwise useless, (old gas). I wont chance it though if it might eat up the gasket.

Just talked with Laysons. They have run out of the 68 front fish FB windshield rubber they recently got in. Not sure if they are getting more in. They said that they sold a bunch and so far have not had complaints. Still no rear window rubber.

Any updates on this? I'm looking to convert my 67 Valiant seal to a 68 but am having a hard time finding anything at a decent price.

I got the last rear windhshield gasket from steele rubber products this morning. Still havent heard anything about the front. Which I really need since I took my front windshield out before I knew this...sigh....any new info out there?

Call Laysons. I got a front windshield gasket from them. Were you able to get the rear window gasket (fastback) from Steele? Laysons still cannot get those.

No I have a hardtop the lady didn't mention anything about the fastback but she did say this was the last one...ill giv layson a call see what they say thanks!

-
Back