Warpage

-
Would be easier if I lived in the States but shipping and the dollar difference into Canada is the decision maker. I bought the car with no drive train and it sat in a field since the early 80s. I wanna be on top of things structually for when it has to have a inspection. I am agreeing with you that full quarters would have been nice.

View attachment 1715606428
Oh crap Canada! I forgot turn my phone sideways and see where this car is.... Yep shipping is a killer....

So here some update pics from my disaster.

20201002_175648.jpg

20201002_175652.jpg

20201002_175706.jpg

20201002_180013.jpg

Guy is no longer working on the car...thank god. Still waves in the panel and he rounded off the midway body line at the door jam almost flat. Guess i have to replace the whole panel again.

Guy is no longer working on the car...thank god. Still waves in the panel and he rounded off the midway body line at the door jam almost flat. Guess i have to replace the whole panel again.

Hard to tell in the pictures, but it does look somewhat better. My 70 Dart Custom had the same problem with the midway body line on the passenger side, but it was due to a bad panel, unfortunately my body man was in a real time crunch and elected not to tell me how bad it was, just installed it as is, always kinda bugged me, at least I didn't have to look at it every time I got in the car.

A good body man can make those quarters look nice again. Just takes patience and not being in a hurry.

Most Street Rod cars are bondo from front to rear, and they make them look like a jewel when they get done.

I watched my guy fix a body line, used masking tape as a guide.

Just don't think $2500 of work was done to my car. Chaps my *** and my trust in people.

I don't think you got anywhere close to your money's worth. Maybe $1000.00 worth? Even then, IDK what the cost of doing a 1/4 panel is today, I know when I had mine done it was around $400.0/side.

Your father must have been a metal finisher back in the day when there was thicker better metal in the car bodies.

Pick and file was the technique they tought us in autobody school in 1974. Pick up the low spots with a pick hammer or a reach in pry pick pry bar, then file the metal to shape again. Sand, primer surfacer it and paint

They showed us lead filling too, just so we would know how to do it.

We all hit the ground running and went straight to the bondo and never looked back.
Got to give it to those old world craftmen that could do the metal finishing, no easy task.

I use my metal finishing skills for resurfacing old school aluminum slot wheels, make them look brand new again after 50 years.

View attachment 1715604169

not to highjack, but what do you put on them to make them stay that way?

I already own the quarter skin..lol. Road trip would be nice though.

Use the edge step down tool on your existing quarter panel. This gives a place to set the new quarter panel down into and gives the weld area way more strength to keep it from warping the rest of the already straight quarter panel.

@ragtopfury used the stepping edge tool on his Dodge Ram Truck box side repair panel job. Turned out beautiful, now freshly painted red.

20201011_073506.jpg

20201011_073528.jpg

20201011_073904.jpg

20201011_074320.jpg

20201011_074435.jpg

20201011_074417.jpg

The owner being a novice welder, I would recommend tack welding it every half inch grind the high spots off the tack welds without undercutting them.

Then seal the finished joint with a coat of water proof "Duroglas" by USC company, then go to your bondo finishing. The joint will be plenty strong and it is up high enough so water is not going to get into the joint on the inside.

The trouble with welding it solid is extream heat going into it and warping the whole panel, and an aweful lot of grinding to get it cleaned up for bondo.

Being a novice welder you can pretty much guarantee that you are not going to get it 100% sealed by welding it solid anyway, there is always going to be pinholes in your welds.

You can screw your new lap joint together with small sheet metal screws about 4" apart to hold your panels together and straight before and during your tack welding. Then jump around with your tack welding and allow things to cool as you go, can assist with an air blower after each tack weld to cool it.

Less heat, less warpage, held firmly in place = less warpage.

Good Luck on your project, you will be an expert when finished.

not to highjack, but what do you put on them to make them stay that way?

For the old school look on the slotted polished aluminum wheels I use WD-40 and fine steel wool to clean and shine them and protect them.

Screenshot_20200712-020702_Gallery.jpg

Easy to go over them again after a year if you want to freshen them up again this way. Final wipe down and polish with an old clean T Shift, soft cotton cloth. The WD-40 protects them from the elements too.

People use the Mother's Aluminum Polish too, but this gives more of a chrome look to the wheels and takes an aweful lot of work to get them there and keep them looking that way.

I don't care for the chrome look finish on the Aluminums, more of a brushed look or a lightly polished look is what I feel is correct for the period they were popular, and are still popular today.

Just like the Aluminum Wheels on my Truck, more of a brushed look and very easy to maintain.

20200409_204939.jpg

Even WD-40 and a a scotch brite pad and wipe down polish with a soft cotton cloth gives a nice slightly polished brushed look.

Going with the so called grain of the wheel to create a nice uniform brushed pattern and not a bunch of cross hatching like inside a cylinder wall.

That's why I like the Aluminum wheels, you can always bring them back to shine, unlike a chipped rusted chrome rim that pretty mush makes those junk when they reach that point.

-
Back