Was driving me nuts...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
...not that it takes much. My Chevy truck developed a squeak. Sounded like an idler pulley. Lost my stethoscope so I bought a new one. Started it up listen...what the hell...the belt had somehow walked itself over one groove. The squeak was from the belt riding on the lip of the a/c compressor pulley. The tensioner has a very strong spring, how the hell it happened has me stumped. Belt has been on there since 07, only has about 60k on it but I will be replacing it shortly..

Something like that is almost always the cause of something other than the belt. I wouldbe looking closely at the idler pulley(s) for excessive movement and the tensioner for any lateral movement. Sometimes they wear and cause the pulley to push out of alignment. Water pump is also another common thing that can change plane due to wear or a failed bearing. Also check the balancer, since is does have a pressed on ring.....although I have yet to see those fail.

Maybe something just got caught in it. Small animal or something. I wouldn't be changing out a sixty or seventy dollar belt if it was in good shape.

maybe it was that 7000 rpm hole-shot at the stop light last week trying beat that other truck...

Could have been something as simple as a piece of gravel at the "wrong" place in time and space

-
Back