Was this good thing or bad thing?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I bought a 67 Barracuda not to long ago with a brand rebuilt 273. The fellow I bought the car from installed the motor in July. He lived up in NY and moved to GA. My question is that I have goosed the motor since I bought the car. He drove the car from NY to GA and drove it some after the move around town and such. I talked to him yesterday and he said that I should take it easy on the motor since it dose not have many miles on it. I thought about that but I drove it about 80 something miles from his house and then put some miles on it myself around town before I nailed it the other night and she about went a around in a circle with me before I let off the gas.

Have I did a bad thing or is it all right since I'm sure the rings have seated by now?

It be fine--not like you drove it at 6000 rpms in top gear for a few mins! When breaking in a motor you are to drive it a little softer but you need not to baby it always. Relax and enjoy it.

dodge freak said:
It be fine--not like you drove it at 6000 rpms in top gear for a few mins! When breaking in a motor you are to drive it a little softer but you need not to baby it always. Relax and enjoy it.

Thanks. I was waiting for it to start smoking or something. The previous owner sounded shocked when I told him I had spun her around in the road. I found out that it has pos traction quick like.

A friend of mine is the nephew of Armstrongs engine rebuilders..they build engines for racers all over Canada and the USA....ive been there a few times when they are breaking in a new motor on the dyno and they break the cam in...check for leaks and give her wide open....so i dont think you have anything to worry about...

Sanguine said:
A friend of mine is the nephew of Armstrongs engine rebuilders..they build engines for racers all over Canada and the USA....ive been there a few times when they are breaking in a new motor on the dyno and they break the cam in...check for leaks and give her wide open....so i dont think you have anything to worry about...

I changed out a cam on a 383 years ago and when I cranked it up I held it at 2000 rpm for about 15 min so the lifters would match with the cam. I always heard that is a good idea to do this so I guess it would be the same with a new rebuild. I don't know about the WOT however!

I'll be breaking my 360's cam in, and rippin on it. Todays bores are much more percise and the ring material is better than things used to be. 'engine break in periods' from what i have seen, is a thing of the past. Many, many motors get their cam broken in on a dyno...then let her rip!

As long as the cam is broken in, which is critical these days due to the reduction of zinc phospates in oil, you have nothing to worry about. Let'r rip and have some fun.

purpose of the cam break in is the contact surface between the cam and lifters is very small at first, resulting in high psi loads
so recommend the 2000+ rpm break in to assure an adequate oil splash onto the cam/lifer surfaces while they mate

alot of the 'break er in easy' comes from the days of reringing a worn cylinder with cast iron rings
the cast rings would eventually take the shape of the worn bore, to a degree...
a fresh bored engine with moly rings shouldnt need much of a break in

Like they said, the rings should seat quickly and once the cam is broken in its ready to rip. Parts dont get stronger with use.

The car was driven from NY to GA ? It's broke in, rip on it. 500 miles is or was the standard for break ins, and youve got alot more than that on it now since the rebuild. DO a map quest, its got to be 600-700 miles from NY to GA.

66dartgt said:
The car was driven from NY to GA ? It's broke in, rip on it. 500 miles is or was the standard for break ins, and youve got alot more than that on it now since the rebuild. DO a map quest, its got to be 600-700 miles from NY to GA.

That is what I was thinking.

dodge freak said:
What you might want to do now is change the oil and filter.

Already have. Vavoline 10w-40 non-synthetic oil.

Can we run synthetic oil in the older motors?

Don't know, I never tryed it. All I use is Vavoline VR1 racing oil, the 20w-50 stuff. I have hear the VR1 oil has lots of zinc in it.

I think the saying is after a few thousand miles synthetic is ok but I have no problems after 25,000 hard miles on my motor.

yeah...the high zinc phosphate oils are a must have with todays hydrallic flat tappet cams. the problem is that many of todays oils dont have that. i use shell rotella 15w-40 heavy duty oil in my 318 duster and 340 formula S cuda. it has plenty of zinc and it keeps good oil pressure and i have had no problems with it. your motor is fine. go drive her like you stole her, just take care of her.

once the cam is broke in then go stomp on it...

if you break the motor in like a pussy it will run like a pussy....

Ayy, not that you dont have enough comments saying your OK but I thought you might get a kick outta this.
I built my 360 in high school and the second day I had her out, I was being a JackAxx and lighting the tires up darn near every where! Havent had one single problem. Heck it even sat for 9 years and still doesnt smoke! lights the tires as easy as ever! Even with some 2:76s :( You dant have anything to worry about. Sounds like the guy just didnt wanna hear you "use" the car! LOL lata' Donnie

Yeah some people think a car is a person or something. I am not saying to beat the crap out of it, but don't "baby" it either. I store my car as soon as the salt trucks come out, but when the streets are clean its red line baby. Blew 1 motor but it was very old and worn so maybe it would have went out no matter what.

-
Back