watcha think

-

Scamper

Reaction score
1st though what octane fuel will I have to run?
Almost there here is the list
77 360 stock crank,stock rods pistons are going to be speed pro forged with slight dish which with my heads will give me 9.8 vrs flat top 10.5:1 just waiting for machinist to open block to see what overbore pistons I am oredering. r/t heads 2.02 from a 435 hp stroker cam xe268h w/1.6 rockers air gap intake carb quick fuel 750cfm mechanical secondaries k&n filter plus xstream top k&n msd dist. and 6a box running auto didnt need rev limiter 2400 stall 904 w/shift kit 4:10 742 suregrip rear
ss springs and I will use the slide cheapie headers flow tech 3" into x pipe then into 2 1/2" with flowmasters 18" straight pipe 3" off of collectors first.
I am hoping for 12's with this combo in my 71 scamp. some fun xtras be cool rad and willwood disc brakes for the front 10"drums rear and a new set of phantom gauges w/super tach and shift light 10,000 rpm.
Can I say excited lol!!!

Don

What do you guys recommend for a fuel pump? I prefer to keep it simple and stay mechanical, I am not into the noise from electrical

Pump premium ought to do it....maybe close with iron heads on a hot day depending on the tune up.
I am a big fan of sufficient volume , so I swear by electric pumps.
Consider 3/8th " fuel line anyway.
A small pusher pump from the tank to a mechanical pump is a nice choice with your set up.
Rubber vibration isolators to mount it and you shouldn't have much problem with noise.

KEEP the 10.5:1 compression with the flat-tops, this will actually be more detonation-resistant than the dished pistons with lower compression! If you don't build an engine to have good quench with closed-chamber heads you're just wasting that feature... For some reason the factory engineers still did this, I don't know why they just didn't make the chamber bigger but whatever I'm nothing compared to them LOL

Can I run on pump gas with 10.5 and iron heads? this was why I was bumping it down

Can I run on pump gas with 10.5 and iron heads? this was why I was bumping it down

There's a lot more to it than just "10.5:1 with iron heads". If you had any factory-style LA head (besides #302 casting) they would have open chambers and you wouldn't be able to run much more than 9.5:1 without getting detonation. BUT since you are running a closed-chamber head, if you build the engine to have proper quench distance between the face of the piston and surface of the head (.035-.050") you can run higher compression without pinging on pump gas. It DOES work, I built an engine myself to try it and it all came out perfectly exactly how I thought it would. Again 10.5:1 engine with iron heads and small RV-type cam, and runs on mid-grade pump gas. And the only way I can get it to ping is by hitting the gas in top gear at a slow speed.

-
Back