water comin in through heater ducts

-

glhx

Reaction score
I have water coming in through drivers side heater duct.....the water is ruining my floor board.......So i taped off the air inlet grill in front of the windshield.....this helped a lot but it did not fix the problem.....where else can the water get in at?

Anyone have picture on how to fix this .....i know i will have to cut into the car to get to the metal under the air inlet grill......i have a feeling this will be a tough repair

Check your wiper seals, a new kit is only 11 bucks.
My duster leaks in the same spot, if the kit will not fix it than you have rusted cowl section.
Also there is drain holes from the cowl to the bottom of the front fender, make sure there is no leaves, dirt etc in there.
The is a complete thread on here with the info.

can you send me a link to the thread if you can find it.,.....wiper seals replaced recently...........cowl is definitely bad...water tested it and its pouring in through the cowl.....the towers that route water the around the ducts are rusted out. going to have to go to surgery:banghead:

Crap. The side outlets are clogged, you can see them with the hood open, wire to juke it and water or air from the cowl. If no a/c, think you could attack them from under the dash? Or, removing the dash almost involves removing the windshield, which is probably leaking also.

i did force water through the outlets a while back but yeah they were clogged.....a lot of leaves and dirt came out of it. car was under a tree for years before i had it. im going to have to cut the outside and take the dash out. might have to remove the windshield too.....but thats what you get when dealing with 43 year old cars

Take off the rear fender spash shields and you can get access to clean them out through there. Use a wire and poke through while running a water hose through the air vents behind the hood. If you blow air back up through these outlets you will put the debree into the heater box Or just clean it tempararily. Let the water wash it out. This is the proper way to clean them There is one outlit on each side. Steve

Well, those towers can rust out - and it would be some major surgery to fix.
I would start by removing the wiper arms and taping off the inlet grill and wiper shaft completely. Then, a water test of the windshield starting on the lower edge, then moving up the A pillar 1/2 way, at the top of the A pillar and then along the top. If you determine the windshield is not leaking then move to the cowl area. Clean it out thoroughly as Oldmanmopar explained. When it's clean, redo the water test.
You sound pretty positive the tower area is rusted out. Can you see that it is?
C

If cowl is plugged that badly, futzing around with a wire will be slow going. Remove driver’s side fresh air vent. It is held in place by three bolts around the outside of its top. Once that vent is out of the way, one can reach his hand up into the cowl and remove the muck and sticks etc. When it is cleaned and dried, following directions apply POR-15 or like product inside the cowl to seal up all the pin holes.

Same treatment of passenger’s side will require removal of heater box… That is a bit more work, but it will give you an excuse to clean the box up, empty out all the crud in it, and re build it to factory fresh condition. Heater rebuild kit is available from Detroit Muscle.

I take the fenders off and cut a hole in the side of the cowl (the little hole that's there is nowhere big enough) then you can get in there and clean it out good.put fenders back on and never worry about it again...............Artie

-
Back