Water coming out of exhaust tips.... a lot of it.

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Not sure whats going on here, but starting today I have been getting a large amount of water coming out of my exhaust tips. Especially after a quick hit on the accellerator while parked in my garage running.
There doesn't appear to be any antifreeze in it as it evaporates quickly and doesn't have a slippery feel to it like coolant water would. It is black though and leaves the black residue behind after it dries. Any ideas?
The motor idles fine, starts right up, doesn't smoke, no blue exhaust, doesn't smell funny, nothing out of the ordinary except for the large amount of black water.

It's called condensation. The black stuff is carbon.

If it is not coolant water you need to warm the car up and get all of the condensation out of the exhaust. I mean get your exhaust hot and I think your problem may go away. Keep checking radiator and watching for leaks till you are sure.

Too rich; choke on? condensation; that's why quality mufflers have a hole in the bottom.

The water is a by-product of combustion, cold pipes, and maybe the alcohol in the gas. When you hit the gas it picks up the water in the pipes and kicks it out.

Drive it more. It neds to get up to operating temp and be driven!

I adjusted the carb and advanced the timing on it to about 5* advanced (It was about 5* retarded) and then drove it for an hour to NAPA and back for a new fuel filter. The black water is completely gone and it has a healthy clear water coming out now.
I also adjusted the carb and timing due to a stumble I was beginning to notice under hard acceleration. I don't know if it was one thing or another, maybe even the combo of all, but it runs like a raped ape now! Thanks everyone!!!

drive it at least 20 or 30 miles.and a good thumping probly wouldnt hert.your motor will love you:bounce::bounce:...Artie

-
Back