Water in fresh air box

-
B

B.preston

Hi, I have a problem with water leaking into the fresh air box on my 69 dart. I assume the water is coming from the cowl vent and the drain must be blocked. What is best way to check this and unplug the drain.

Thanks bob

It could be as simple as a blocked drain. There are small holes on each side of the cowl you can clean out with a bent wire, or if you are really flexible and have a small arm/wrist, then you can reach up through the vent and try to see if there is a build up of debris you can remove that way.

Unfortunately, most of leaks coming through the vents will be rust in the "hat" that prevent water from coming in. In assembly, those areas normally received very little primer/paint resulting in rust holes. Get a flashlight and look up in your vents and see if the wall of the hats have holes in them. If so, you may be able to temporarily fill them but many times it will requires major surgery to fix.

Thanks for the info. I will try some of those suggestions. This car has always been in southern CA. And garaged. I don't think that it would be a rust issue. I also replaced all the seals in wiper arms and the windshield. The water only comes in on the drivers side air box.

mine was doing exactly same thing until today. I removed the fresh air box and used central vacuum hose and air hose to clean out drains. I was testing it with water and had let hose run in cowl with not a sign of leak then hose slipped and water started leaking again I finally figured out where it was coming from. Under the hood next to cowl there was a small screw hole and as it turned out it was above the fresh air box. It finally hit me why that hole was there, it is for the clamp that holds the windshield washer tubes which I have not installed yet. Would be an easy fix if that is also you problem. I was afraid it was my wiper seals which I had replaced but they are dry. Hope this helps, Joe

Thanks Joe, I will check that out. I will try removing the box as you suggested and see if that works. I replaced all the washer hoses and screws so I think I'm good ther. Thanks again Bob

I took my seat out so I could lay in floor and look up and that is how I found the screw hole. The air box is not hard to get out with a 1/4" drive ratchet with extension. Good luck Joe

-
Back