Water leaking out of head.

-

christmas53

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 73 340 in my 68 cuda went to change the right side header gasket and I have coolant coming out of some of the bolt holes . Could this be a problem car runs good ?

I did this one time, I wish I would have thought about it before and drained the water first :glasses7:

Use some thread sealant on the front and rear studs to stop the leak.

I have a 73 340 in my 68 cuda went to change the right side header gasket and I have coolant coming out of some of the bolt holes . Could this be a problem car runs good ?

Perfectly normal.. Like said above the front and rear bolt/stud hole go into water on both heads. Non hardening thread sealant when you put them back in.

The front and rear holes in the heads go into a water passage. As if that's not bad enough, the wall thickness is thin. One Spring I took my car out of storage and went for a ride. Something let go when I was (ahem) clearing out the carbon and steam came out from under the hood. The header rear bolt had blown right out letting the coolant escape. Of course it was the one under the master cylinder by the steering column. Long story short, I took the heads off (wanted to that eventually anyway) and repaired the stripped hole with a heli-coil. I bought some studs at NAPA and thread-locked them in the 4 outer-most holes. Used stainless nuts in those locations. Been good for 6-7 years since then.

Funny story, a few years back I knew a guy who bought a signet with a 273 4 spd from a guy, he got the car for a few hundred bucks because the guy saw that water when he pulled the header and thought the head was cracked!

Long story short, I took the heads off (wanted to that eventually anyway) and repaired the stripped hole with a heli-coil. I bought some studs at NAPA and thread-locked them in the 4 outer-most holes. Used stainless nuts in those locations. Been good for 6-7 years since then.

Ah, good ol heli-coils. I had one put in a cylinder head yesterday. Someone broke off a stud and then drilled it out and never put a heli-coil in it. I had the machine shop rebuild the heads and put a heli-coil in that one hole. Good as new now.

-
Back