water leaks

-

John Cailey

Crizila
Reaction score
I have water leaking in from both sides near the kick panels - most likely coming from the cowl plenum on my 74 Duster. Did I miss something when I had the front end off the car during restoration? Plenum drain tubes??? Thanks, John

all the time or only when you turn on the wipers?

i know in my duster the wiper arm seals are shot but they will "hold" untill i turn the wipers on

Ok, ran some water tests. Not from the plenum area for sure. Wiper arms rebuilt with new seals, so I guess that leaves the windshield seal corners. The windshield seal was replaced when I did the paint work, and no rust anywhere in the corners. I guess that leaves the seal install itself - done by a local glass company. Off comes the trim for further diagnosis. Thanks all for the replys. John

Ok, ran some water tests. Not from the plenum area for sure. Wiper arms rebuilt with new seals, so I guess that leaves the windshield seal corners. The windshield seal was replaced when I did the paint work, and no rust anywhere in the corners. I guess that leaves the seal install itself - done by a local glass company. Off comes the trim for further diagnosis. Thanks all for the replys. John
I wouldn't rule out the wiper pivots just yet or it being just one issue. Did you do the grease zerk addition to your wiper pivots?

talcom powder around the seal/windshield area, compressed air from inside. cloud forms where leak is...I don't remember if this was in the FSM or ? It may have been what the techs did to find leaks at the dealership.

Not 100% about Dusters, but I know on my 70 dart there are "openings" in the windshield seal channel that need sealer spread before the gasket goes in...i think its called Butyl sealer...if you just install the rubber gasket and no sealer there may be issues with leaks.

talcom powder around the seal/windshield area, compressed air from inside. cloud forms where leak is...I don't remember if this was in the FSM or ? It may have been what the techs did to find leaks at the dealership.
You can use sopy water also and it will form bubbles etc. but yes you need a higher pressure air situation inside the car...i remember starting the car and running the heater full blast with windows up etc. If you can pump compressed air in there even better and quicker

Not 100% about Dusters, but I know on my 70 dart there are "openings" in the windshield seal channel that need sealer spread before the gasket goes in...i think its called Butyl sealer...if you just install the rubber gasket and no sealer there may be issues with leaks.
I've often wondered about those openings? It would make sense that if they had to be sealed they would not have put them there. IIRC, they open into the cowl area. I always figured that they were there to shed any water that got behind the windshield rubber seal instead of rotting out the window frame??

Not 100% why the openings in the channel are are there, they are at the bottom near the cowl edge., near where the dash bolt in. I have read that you need to apply sealer when installing the new windshield gasket. there is info on this forum about windshield installation. if you do a search Im sure youll find it where they tell you how and where to apply the sealer. I also know from taking my windshield out there was alot of sealer to scrape out of the channel. That was factory .I still have the gasket and it has the old sealer on it. My car is a 1970 Im not sure of differences between it and a 74 duster.

-
Back